Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius radio -Which one should I purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Harleynole
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius radio -Which one should I purchase?

I have Sirius radio in my truck and want to purchase a unit for the scoot that will also double for the wife's vehicle. I am looking at the Stratus 5 or the Starmate 5. For ease of installation and functionality which one do you guys prefer and why. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a stratus 5. They are older but they all work the same, plus this one was a little smaller than some of the newer ones.
Mine also doubles for my truck. It came with a mount that has a sticky back. I placed in right above where the clutch handle contects. I had less vibration on the handle bars than anywhere else, and I can reach easy with my left hand to change channels.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:44 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

does anyone know if they still make the ones that plug into the antenna port of the radio and then the radio antenna plugs into the back of the that plug. Kinda like a piggyback thing?

I have found the ones with FM transmitters that go through the air suck. You can't find a clear FM station in urban areas. I have one of the former installed on my daughters car and there is no problem with interference at all.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It you get a MP3 cord...I think that's what it's called, at your local radio shack, it plug into you FM receiver port on your mount and then plugs into the aux. port on the front of your radio. Then select Aux on radio instead of FM, CD, etc.. now you have a direct link. It's great. My truck used the antenna too and it sucks.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

I bought the Starmate 5 and a 3 mos subscription card at Best Buy. I did this because I had a gift card from Christmas that I had not used yet. The gift card knocked $50 off the total, and once I paid for my 1 year subscription on activation, I was good to go.

I also purchased the Sirius Professional Motorcycle Mount Kit from MyRadioStore. Haven't got the hard-wired power supply installed yet (still using the DC connector in the cig lighter source), but will soon.

I love having Sirius Satellite Radio and the road-trips planned for this summer are going to be that much better...

Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 AM
bunerosa
Cruiser

look at the pioneer inno rechargable and portable so you don't have to leave it on your bike, mine last's 20 hrs per charge and charges from lighter plug or 11o, 100 hrs of recording xm/sirius and sd card as an mp3 player

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM
snopro2007
Novice

Is there anything wrong with the factory setup besides being expensive? Has anyone heard of any disadvantages of it compared to an aftermarket one.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
I bought the Starmate 5 and a 3 mos subscription card at Best Buy. I did this because I had a gift card from Christmas that I had not used yet. The gift card knocked $50 off the total, and once I paid for my 1 year subscription on activation, I was good to go.

I also purchased the Sirius Professional Motorcycle Mount Kit from MyRadioStore. Haven't got the hard-wired power supply installed yet (still using the DC connector in the cig lighter source), but will soon.

I love having Sirius Satellite Radio and the road-trips planned for this summer are going to be that much better...

when you use the DC connector in the cig lighter...does it get in the way of turning????

Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 AM
bigcletus
Cruiser

I have the Stratus 5 on my 07 RG. Mounted it right in front of the H-K radio. Much better than burning MP3 disks...

Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

After using my sportster 5 from my truck, i went and bought the INV receiver, like the way the wires plug into the receiver instead of the docking cradle and the delicate little plug in piece on the bottom of the sportster. I got the bracketron mount from tss-radio.com.

Quick Reply: Sirius radio -Which one should I purchase?