Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Cam Chains/Cam Gear Change out

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 740 Likes on 276 Posts

My 1999 EGC has Magnetti Marelli EFI, and I run a PCIII, purchased from site sponsor Fuel Moto, which they dyno tuned YESTERDAY (Saturday).

Here's the link on the Power Commander website:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=31&yr=1999

Last edited by jamesw; 06-21-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:44 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

cromagnon
I had the hydraulic kit put in my bike at San Jose Harley 3 weeks ago the kit doesn't
come with new cams. It is a new cam support plate, new oil pump. new tensioners
new chain and sprocket for the outer chain you reuse your inner chain.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM
hijo202
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to if the 2001 is an M & M ignition, yes it is. Power Commander makes one for it. I have an '01 and put on a PC, and had it dyno'd. The difference was amazing to say the least. With my true duals and intake it really gets up and goes now. I plan on changing out cams (once I return from Asscrackistan) to give it more bottom end tq (lost it after the true duals, but my thighs like it so much better). But the PC has been great on it. Just get it dyno'd after install (my dyno guy installed for free) and you will be happy. Hope this helps.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamesw
My 1999 EGC has Magnetti Marelli EFI, and I run a PCIII, purchased from site sponsor Fuel Moto, which they dyno tuned YESTERDAY (Saturday).

Here's the link on the Power Commander website:

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=31&yr=1999
Originally Posted by hijo202
In regards to if the 2001 is an M & M ignition, yes it is. Power Commander makes one for it. I have an '01 and put on a PC, and had it dyno'd. The difference was amazing to say the least. With my true duals and intake it really gets up and goes now. I plan on changing out cams (once I return from Asscrackistan) to give it more bottom end tq (lost it after the true duals, but my thighs like it so much better). But the PC has been great on it. Just get it dyno'd after install (my dyno guy installed for free) and you will be happy. Hope this helps.
I wasn't the OP but I appreciate the info. When the dealer said the PC and SERT wouldn't work he specifically blamed the MM EFI. I would expect a dealer to try to sell me something instead of steering me away from it. James I'm going to print the link you posted and show it to them to see if they change their story or give me a better explanation as to why it wont work. Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lincoln33
When I switched to gear drive and a new intake system I considered the Power Commander or SERT but the dealer told me the 01 RKs came with the Magnetti Marelli EFI and it wasn't compatible with either. Do you know if your EFI is Magnetti Marelli ?
Your dealer is wrong about PC compatibility, and the last year for M/M is 2001.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
cromagnon
I had the hydraulic kit put in my bike at San Jose Harley 3 weeks ago the kit doesn't
The new cam plate Screamin Eagle Billet and Hi flow oil pump doesnt come with a set of cams , but likely was sold his choice of cams while the conversion was taking place.
I know another supplier here with the andrews products will offer you a choice of a new cam plate/oil pump and or the addition of cams .

If a dealer or indi wasnt giving you the straight goods on products they sell why have them install the parts you are going to buy?
MM EFI for an 01 from what I hear is a little bit finiky( I dont know what or why), just some guys just dont like them, others hate the delphi system and have resorted to removing all the EFI compnents and going back to carbs. Well, that was the rage three years ago, dont know where they stand on that modafication today.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
cromagnon
That's what I thought. Think the Gear conversions come with new cams, so the upgrade is more elaborate.

I heard something to the effect that if one of the tensioners blow up, Harley will upgrade you to the new type tensioners (if under warranty of course).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
First you'll need to check your crank rounout to make sure it's within spec to go to gears.
This is the most important thing. As far as the power commander goes, it really depends on what you wast out of your bike. A fuel management system is required to retune as the bike will run differently after swapping the cams. There are various fuel management modules available for your bike, not jsut a pwoer commander.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I agree witht he last post, it depends on what you wnat out of your bike. If you are changing the cams to anything other than stock, you will need to change the fuel.

As for the M-M and the PC III. Your dealer is full of sh**. I have a PC III on my '01 RKC and it works great. A big differnece between the PC III and just the harley download. I can't vouch for a SERT available for the M-M but the PC is certainly. Call Jamie at Fuel Moto and talk to him.

I'm also pondering a geared cam change next winter but it will be to a little more aggressive grind and go along with bumbing the 'ol 88 up to a 95.