Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to take this trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to take this trip

I am trying to plan for next year and want to know when the best time to take this trip. I know heading into the northwest it is still cold and still some snow even in the summer months. So I was wondering when the best time to take this trip. I am planning at least a month, maybe six weeks. I want to take my time, roughly 200-300 miles a day. I want t o be able to go off the beaten path and not have to worry about being somewhere at some certain time. Also, I will be spending a couple days in one location so I can venture out on different roads and check everything out.

So right now I am just trying to find out the best time.
I am thinking July and the first two weeks of August.

Thanks

Last edited by confused; 04-01-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would plan on mid July to the end of August. Even in July and August still check the weather ahead for changing conditions.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

thinking July and the first two weeks of August.

Good thought !!! The last 2 weeks of August in the past few years have been wet.....don't ask how I know....lol

Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Probably mid August. I've done most of the northern and southwestern portion.
In the northern part there is almost daily rain but generally doesn't last long
The southwest will be hot, very hot. In short, you will need to prepare for all weather
exremes.
Hope you have included Beartooth Pass in Wy. and Jasper in Canada.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Damn, can I go with you??? Maybe if I can clone myself to take care of the office.......

Old 06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Spokomo
Advanced

That's the best time to head this way. First two weeks in August are usually cloud free. I would suggest a slight western alteration in your route through Montana north out of Yellowstone. Do not miss Glacier National Park and the "Going to the Sun" highway. Best traveled from Kalispell headed east. Been over it a dozen times or so.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Max Power
Novice

Thats what im talking about , how many miles is that in total ?
Looks like you are doing the distance of going round NZ a couple of times .
Take your time and take 1 big **** memory stick with you .
You guys are lucky to be able to do real trips like that .

Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a great time for this area. You'll see plenty of bikes, and great scenery. Make sure you do Bear Tooth Pass, and Glacier Nat'l Park. Great ride. PM me if you switch routes, and come through Missoula.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I live in Turlock, Ca (80 miles due east and a little south of SF). I see on your map that at SF you plan to take I5 south to bakersfield and then east over to Las Vegas - In my opinion, that is one very boring ride and during your time table - It is some of the hottest time of the year - If that route is set in stone... I would suggest you start your ride just before sunrise or after sunset to avoid the heat. actually, that time of year - its HOT in a lot of places in CA and SW - once you leave the coast area.. temps of over 100 are very common in central CA and over 100 west of Bakersfield. IF you have time - you could head east from SF and go over the Mt's on 88 or 4 or 108 or even 120 - still when you get over the Mt's the heat on 395 south to Big Pine and over to 95 and south to LV is tough. Since its going to be hot either way - I would take on of the above routes over the Mt's and then head south to LV... I just hate I-5 and route through Bakersfield area... do a search of Barstow or Baker Ca for heat during your time table and you will see what I am talking about. Good luck on your ride - dress for ALL weather and take your time and enjoy.. When your in the SF area - TRAFFIC - be carefull...

Last edited by harley0711; 06-20-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

One thing to think about - IF you have ever thought of a new seat and looked at Corbin... The Corbin factory is in Hollister Ca - They offer a Ride in Appoitment where they make a custom seat for YOUR butt while you wait - You arrive at about 8am - spend the day working with the builder - he talks to you, finds out what you want and need... starts the seat and as he builds - you take it out for a test ride - come back and tweak the seat AFTER you say "its perfect" it gets covered and away you go... this takes anywhere from 4 - 7 hours but afterwards you have a CUSTOM seat...

If you look around - Corbin seat have a Love them / hate them reputation.... I have been on them now for just over 10 years and I would ride on nothing else.

Quick Reply: Best time to take this trip