Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First of many ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM
medic1555
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First of many ???

I hpe I don't end up being a pia. I'm getting ready to hit the 1/2 century mark in about a year. I'm going to be buying a HD but have not decided on just which one yet. Been riding since I was 18. What appeals to me looks wise are: Street Glides, Road Glides, Road Kings.
Ok first question: I've seen where some guys have converted a RK into a SG. If I were to find a good deal on a used RK would it worth converting or should I just go for the SG? I'm not that familiar with what is involved with this conversion price and time wise.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

I love my Road King. I have had it for 3 years and have put 32,000 miles on it during that time. The Street Glides are definitely cooler looking, but here in So Cal it seems like everybody has one. My RKC can easily convert from street bagger look to full touring in about 30 seconds.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put a detachable fairing on a Road King and that would give you the best of both worlds...Fairing and radio for the long hauls and clean lines of the King when you arrive and take off the fairing stashing it in your hotel room. I have a Street Glide and I like the full time fairing that being said...If you think you'll want to ride without a fairing or if you want to mix it up no fairing, fairing, windshield the King will allow you to do all that...best bet rent the bikes for a day...I know my local dealers rent by the day or half day...so get the Glide in the AM and the King in the afternoon..

Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Duke55
Intermediate

I prefer the street glide.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:53 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

your right i see a lot of sg's here in so cal-ride safe

Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

Never ridden a SG. But I DO like the fact you can remove the windy and be a BIKER. lol

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Sgt Mac
Road Master

Originally Posted by dailydriver
You can put a detachable fairing on a Road King and that would give you the best of both worlds...Fairing and radio for the long hauls and clean lines of the King when you arrive and take off the fairing stashing it in your hotel room. I have a Street Glide and I like the full time fairing that being said...If you think you'll want to ride without a fairing or if you want to mix it up no fairing, fairing, windshield the King will allow you to do all that...best bet rent the bikes for a day...I know my local dealers rent by the day or half day...so get the Glide in the AM and the King in the afternoon..
I love my Street Glide. But completely agree with this. RK with the detachable fairing would give you the best of both worlds.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

What type of riding will you be doing? Local cruising, or do you anticipate traveling on the bike? Commuting? Makes a difference in which one might be more suitable. Changing the windshield on either "Glide" can make a giant difference in appearance and wind management (or lack of if you choose).

Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer

I agree there are kits that can make the RK like a SG but the question is..would ya?
I have an EG and lots of parts to make it look like a SG but I never switch em out even though it is easy.

Sure, there are lots of Street Glides on the road, but there is a reason for it..they're nice! Not to judge your age as you're probably in way better shape than I am, but at 43 here, I am already in cush mode and thus always like the fairing and tunes, not sure about how you feel about that.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Road King with the detachable and it's the best of both worlds for me. But to be totally honest, the fairing comes off less and less and less as time goes by. Easy to get hooked on em....

Quick Reply: First of many ???