Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat and Backrest Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
VARDR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat and Backrest Question

Want to add a detachable backrest for the driver and the passenger on a stock SG seat. Any suggestions on the best place to shop for the needed items.

thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

If your seat has the hole in it for the seatback like my ultra, the best choice is HD. Zanottis I think is the name of the dealer that has 20% off everything. I just bought one at a local dealership that was having an open house and had 20% off everything.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM
VARDR
Cruiser

thanks, what do I need to add the passenger backrest...looking at the HD website it is unclear. Do I need to put a luggage rack on or just mounting hardware. Anybody have any parts numbers for these. I think I have the rider piece covered. thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 03:13 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

As far as passenger backrest, I don't know. I'm only familiar with the ultra with the tourpack backrest. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They (HD) have a new quick release mount for the SG, it allows the mounting of the sissy bar and luggage rack separately, so you don’t have to mount both. Also this new mount will allow the install of the tour pack if you should decide on that later.

The driver backrest is fairly easy, a bracket installs under the seat, and the back rest slips through the slot in the seat and clips right in.

My recommendation get rid of that awful stock seat! Get a HD Sundowner, you won’t regret it.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Ditto on the Sundowner. Not as cool looking, but very comfy especially for the passenger.

As to the passenger backrest, I strongly suggest you purchase the 2009 4-point detachable hardware. Then you can add the detachable backrest. The backrest pad is extra of course. Then later if you want you can just buy the luggage rack and pop it on too. The 4-point hardware is also what you need if you decide to go whole HOG and buy a matching Tour-pak.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Chimp
Cruiser

Yep, that's right. The passenger backrest installs in 3 parts basically...

Part 1 - Docking hardware. this is an attachment to the bike that stays on. there is a "2 point" version and a "4 point" version, with the latter being more expensive, but allowing more expansion. The backrest itself will use either. i.e it only requires the 2 point docking hw, but will use 2 of the 4 point hw just as easily.

Part 2 - the "metal" sissy bar (in effect). you can get the low, the regular, or maybe even the "high" version of the bar (can't remember if there is a high on the SG).

Part 3 - the pad itself. you have to get a pad that will fit the bar you pick in part 2. i.e. the pad for the "low" bar won't fit the "regular" bar (if I remember correctly).

I would get the 4 point hardware in part 1 because you can then later add the luggage rack if you need it, or add the entire tour pack. if you go with the 2 point you'll get your passenger back rest, but if you want to expand past that you'll end up with the 4 point hardware anyway.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:03 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain

Take a look at the Mustang riders backrest. I think its a better design than the HD and it will work with a HD seat as loog as the seat has a gap in it for a backrest (you'll have to buy the bracket with the backrest but i think its still cheaper than the HD)

Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 AM
rmacnh
Advanced

I have the 4 point docking set up on my 09 sg. (sorry no pics) I can put on the passenger back rest and luggage rack on in seconds when needed. Part #s are
54205-09 Docking Hardware (4 point)
52627-09 Upright Std. height (sissy bar)
51633-06 Back rest (pad)
54215-09 Detachable 2-up (luggage rack)
You can have the just the passenger back reat and add the rack if needed

I picked up an Ultra Touring pack from craigs list PN # 94743-09 that mounts on the rack when extra storage is needed. You can add a detachable tour pack to the docking set. In the catalog it says you need to relocate your antenna...I did not have too, so dont buy that.
Easy directions and install.

Hope this helps

Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my parts from www.surdyke.com. About 20% off.

Quick Reply: Seat and Backrest Question