Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid change tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:50 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fluid change tips

Decided to do my fuild change myself i have the service manual looks pretty simple. this weekend or next any tips appreciated there use to be a video link for this awhile back.

can i do this without a lift just using my chock? thanks for any tips ya boy rome.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome304
Decided to do my fuild change myself i have the service manual looks pretty simple. this weekend or next any tips appreciated there use to be a video link for this awhile back.

can i do this without a lift just using my chock? thanks for any tips ya boy rome.
The only reason I use a jack is to hold the bike upright for the primary service. Engine oil pan drains better (or my mind thinks it does) on the side stand.

I'm sure you've seen the tip about a 2-liter soda bottle for the oil filter. I personally use the folded tin foil method, but still manage to drip some. Oh well. Just follow the manual, no big deal.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:14 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the manual makes it easy-rdie safe

Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

someone have pictures of the two liter soda bottle method? How to cut it and how to put it in. I made a mess changing my filter the first time I changed.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
VARDR
Cruiser

Use a platic zip lock bag to change oil. A lift is very convieniet ($80 at Harbor Freight). Need torque wrenches (in and ft). Need a belt tensioner guage for your belt. Finally, I marked the checklist with the pages of where it explains how to complete the task. Makes it go faster. Good luck

Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

+1 on the Ziplock or the soda bottle...Whatever oil drips out i just prays some Brake cleaner in around the filter and cleans the oil leftover and it dries super fast...I use a little bit of pipe dope (liquid sealer) on the drain plugs...new o-rings...buy a bunch...Every time pour a little oil in the filter before putting it on...You should be fine with a chock. Have fun and enjoy it. Oh...don't over tighten the T27 torx bolt on the primary cover......

Old 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Originally Posted by VARDR
Use a platic zip lock bag to change oil. A lift is very convieniet ($80 at Harbor Freight). Need torque wrenches (in and ft). Need a belt tensioner guage for your belt. Finally, I marked the checklist with the pages of where it explains how to complete the task. Makes it go faster. Good luck
Don't over tighten the sump plug they will strip very easy

Last edited by hogbag07; 06-19-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by VARDR
Need a belt tensioner guage for your belt. why do i need this to change fluids???

Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by rome304
Need a belt tensioner guage for your belt. why do i need this to change fluids???
I'm sure he was assuming you were intending to do a full service...most folks say they're gonna change the oil and mean they're gonna do a service which includes more than just changing the fluids.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
watercop
Cruiser

I use an old gear lube bottle cut in half to put under the oil filter. its a perfect fit. I have a piece of plastic tubing on it that extends to my drain pan. Have never spilled even a drop
I also strongly recommend using a torque wrench...a real pain if you strip one of the plugs

Quick Reply: Fluid change tips