Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid change tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:57 PM
jeff194
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do the primary, make sure you can loosen the derby cover screws before you pull the drain plug. Otherwise you may not be able to refill the primary. I like to drain my fluids when the bike is hot.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM
09TxRoadKing
Advanced

Originally Posted by matrix5
The only reason I use a jack is to hold the bike upright for the primary service. Engine oil pan drains better (or my mind thinks it does) on the side stand.

I'm sure you've seen the tip about a 2-liter soda bottle for the oil filter. I personally use the folded tin foil method, but still manage to drip some. Oh well. Just follow the manual, no big deal.
+1 on the 2 liter soda bottle, makes for a cleaner filter change. Everything else is no big deal.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's messy no matter what. I'd suggest putting some cardboard down on the floor under the bike which will soak up any excess fluid that misses your drain pan.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the tips guys big help in preparing for this.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i found out a tip that works well for the newer bikes too, actually two tips. i use a long thin punch to put a hole in the oil filter toward the bottom where oil can leak out before removing the filter, two holes actually, one low, and one toward the top at the end of the filter. low one for draining the filter, the other to vent so it can drain. makes a lot less mess when you unscrew the filter. and if you've got a newer harley, they have cup wrenches that fit harley filters at auto zone for a 3/8" ratchet and extension. older models had a taller crank position sensor and it doesn't work on 05's i know, but for 08's it works great. the punch i use is sorta like an awl, almost like a heavy duty ice pick, one light tap with a hamer and you got a drain hole in the filter.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser

Get a new o-ring for the oil drain plug. I did an oil change this past weekend (5k miles) and the o-ring was flattened and torn. Surprised it wasn't leaking! So, save yourself some grief...if you don't need it...at least you have a spare.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the filter started loosened after draining the oil. Slip a ziplock bag over the filter unscrew, dispose. No punching, cutting, or dealing with oil period. DO NOT forget to dip your finger in the oil and run it around the new filter rubber gasket. Better seal and less issue next time you change it. Chock will be fine for draining, but on some years at least like my 2005 engine oil level is check on the jiffy stand where trans is checked with bike upright which your chock will hold for you.

Adam

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rome304
Decided to do my fuild change myself i have the service manual looks pretty simple. this weekend or next any tips appreciated there use to be a video link for this awhile back.

can i do this without a lift just using my chock? thanks for any tips ya boy rome.
Here's the video you're looking for.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2330200_ch...cycle-oil.html

Good Luck

Peter
Netherlands

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's the video thanks big peter.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

someone mentioned this= "When you do the primary, make sure you can loosen the derby cover screws before you pull the drain plug. Otherwise you may not be able to refill the primary"= , True, it happened to me I stripped a bolt and was secrewed ( no paun intended )

Quick Reply: Fluid change tips