Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID XTRA, Motorcycle HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID XTRA, Motorcycle HIDs

I recently installed an HID kit (with slim ballast and Bi-Xenon bulb) from HID Xtra. Shipping was very fast and once I got the product, I was extremely happy with the apparent quality... the install took me about 30 minutes (prob a little longer, if you are not used to doing this kind of stuff). Once installed the difference was amazing. Night driving cannot be compared to regular lights. Dont even need to use the high beams, althought in the kit I have, when the highbeam is switched, the bulb moves up (not trying to blind anyone)...

For the color, I choose the 12000k (diamond blue) HID. The bulb fit right in place and the harness was plug and play... You just need to provide a switched power and ground, I lost my instructions, but didnt even need them, it pretty much goes on one way. The ballast(in my kit) was the slim one, and it will pretty much fit anywhere...

I will update this as I go along, I have been out of town and trying to catch up on everything...

Feel free to ask any questions...

the original thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/vendo...s-members.html

well packaged

simple instruction sheet (which I lost shortly after taking the pict)

included items

the HID

the ballast (slim)

highbeam controller

very nice fittings/harnesses for plug and play

factory bulb

factory rubber boot removed and HID installed, fit right in and snap in with the factory ring

factory high beam (which ill get better picts later, of someone elses bike, I was so eager to get this kit installed I didnt dwell to much on the old stuff)

HID (low beam)

again feel free to ask any specific questions, and i will do my best to provide an honest answer, as to my personal experience with this kit... so far it is great...

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 06-18-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for sharing

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
ky_ace
Road Master

Looks great. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of 2 bikes on the road at night (like on the back of the Silverstar box) Light looks really bright, but how's the projection distance?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by ky_ace
Looks great. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of 2 bikes on the road at night (like on the back of the Silverstar box) Light looks really bright, but how's the projection distance?
the distance is what amazed me the most, cause of the color, i thought it would not be super bright, but it is and for a good distance, kinda like putting on some expensive optics/tinted glasses or something, hard to discribed, but i will get a pict or vid of my bike and a stock bike as soon as i can

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
billjr
Cruiser

I will try to get some pics also of mine against a buddy's who still has the stock bulb in his at night.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Would that slim ballast fit inside of a softail 7" headlight? I want to know where I could mount the ballast. That is my only concern.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
ky_ace
Road Master

I'm even wondering about mounting it in the RKC Nacelle. I know the other guy that did it with the Road King seemed to have some difficulty. I've had my bike down for 7 months and I'm not looking to screw with it for a while!! I think I'll pick up some HID lights, but will give it a while to settle out and get long term reviews. What about the 881's for the aux. lights, I wouldnt want to leave them std. halogen if I put an HID headlamp in...

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

What is the cost for this, and is it really that easy to install?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_ace
I'm even wondering about mounting it in the RKC Nacelle. I know the other guy that did it with the Road King seemed to have some difficulty.
You can fit it in the Road King nacelle for sure. My only suggestion is that the main harness be tweaked specifically for our motorcycles. The fairing guys have a lot more room to stash the extra wire length, ballast and relay.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice.. Thank you for the info. I will need to do this soon!!

Quick Reply: HID XTRA, Motorcycle HIDs