Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of speed bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Leeburn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of speed bumps

I knew it had to happen.............Layed down the bike this past weekend - on a speed bump.

Driving through a parking lot to park at a local pub, I approached a speed "hump" in the middle of the laneway. Didn't think much of it and proceeded to cross it. Before I knew it, I was on my side with the bike laying on me. My foot got pinned under the highway peg and my girlfriend (who was riding behind me on her bike) had to help me lift it up enough for me to slide my foot out. Got the bike up and surveyed the damage.

What happened was the bike bottomed out going over the bump. It pivoted on the spring for the jiffy stand and the back wheel was competely in the air. It went over to the right side very quickly and as I was putting my foot down i got nothing but air. My feet were ahead of the speed bump and I guess since I was so much higher than the ground because my bike was caught up, I couldnt catch it in time.

Minor damage, the highway peg mounting bracket was scratched and the chrome rails around the hard bags have a couple of nicks in them. The spring for the jiffy stand was stretched out and I rode home with it halfway hanging from the side of the bike

The good new is the dealer actually replaced the spring free of charge and the only thing really damaged was my pride.

Just a note of caution when approaching any kind of speed bump/hump. The bike can go over very quickly if you bottom out so my advice is to find a way around them. As a note, I have been riding motorcycles since 1974 and I have never had anything like this happen before.

Consider me educated.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Tuco069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you and your girlfriend were not seriously injured!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Adacas
Cruiser

thanks for the warning.. never would have thought of it

glad your'e not hurt

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
sparky1
Road Captain

Did you do it on your Ultra? I have an 08 Ultra,been over speed bumps, never really thought about it,will have to be really careful from now on.I guess we learn from experience whether its our own or someone elses.Glad you're o.k. and the bike sustained only minor scratches,that shouldn't be hard to fix if its even noticeable.
Ride safe.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member

glad there was no major damage and you injurys

Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

I've hit high center a couple of times on speedbumps, quess I had enough momemtum to carry me across. Bad scrapeing sound was all I got. Ride safe

FD

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Thanks for the warning.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:15 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

geez isn't that the way it goes ...outta the blue and into the red ...glad you two are fine and thanks for the heads up

Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
robo1211
Cruiser

i have also bottomed out on a speed bump. jiffy spring came off, but i did not fall down, maybe cause i was coming to the bar, were you leaving? spring has'nt been right since.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Gald you are ok and thanks for the heads up. I have a 08 SG and it's low from the start.

Quick Reply: Beware of speed bumps