Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi focal glasses any suggestions on what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do any of these glasses come with hearing aids built in??

Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lmb1485
do any of these glasses come with hearing aids built in??
what!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
seppon
Stage IV

I got the stick on bifocal for my prescription sunglasses for $70. They are working well.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm different than most. I hate riding with my bifocals. My peripheral vision sucks with them, so I usually just wear my single vision prescription sunglasses for riding. I can see the gauges fine. I change to my bifocals for map reading, and when I go inside to eat.

Last edited by bluffalobob; 06-18-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a new script, then go to opticsplanet.com. You can get single vision, bifocals, or progressive lens in a riding glass. I wear the Wiley X with a single vision. I did add the Wally World stick ons just to read my GPS with.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I have the transition and progressive bi-focals. I got them with safety lens also. I think they are great I can see my dash & GPS. If I look up I see far down the road. Some people cannot use the progressives. Regretably mine are like $500.00 but they work for everywhere. I cannot work at my computer without them & that pays the bills. If somebody knows where to get transition and progressive bi-focal with safety lens cheaper please let me know?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been wearing Transitions (photogrey) lenses 34 years and started wearing progressive bifocals for the last 8 years with no problems. Only "issue" if you want to call it is that I wear a 3/4 face helmet and the shields block UV rays which keeps the transitions lenses from darkening sometimes. I do wear a dark shield during daylight hours so this a mute point. One thing I recommend is gettin Crizal lenses. VERY scratch resistant and worth the extra money!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
niterider985
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry made a mistake wife says mine are not tri but progressive and there is 4 different powers and safety lens also trans. that is why mine are so much$$$ all I know is I cant see anything without them on from the time I get up till bed, when I was younger my eyes were almost 20-20 hell getting old LOL.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by gmurdock
If somebody knows where to get transition and progressive bi-focal with safety lens cheaper please let me know?
These people indicate that they will make a set of progressive polycarbonate Transition lenses in your frame for $185. I have not used them so far, I've been using replacealens.com, but I may give them a try next time I need lenses made.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by niterider985
Sorry made a mistake wife says mine are not tri but progressive and there is 4 different powers and safety lens also trans. that is why mine are so much$$$
Actually, progressive lenses are designed with three distinct focal areas: near, intermediate, and far. They're all designed this way, but the size of the areas can vary between manufacturers. Although this image does not show it, each area blends into the next so the wearer does not see it when moving between them. That's why they're called "progressive" - they can focus on objects at any distance seamlessly. The white areas in the image are where vision will not be in focus. It can be seen that peripheral vision with the progressive lens is best at the distance focal length, with less peripheral vision at the two other focal lengths. This is the reason it becomes necessary to sometimes "point" your head in the direction you want to see, rather than simply moving your eyes, through progressive lenses. It's no different than what you have to do to see through any of the non-progressive multi-focal lenses, and it's intuitive for most people.

Quoting from this page, the following may help in understanding progressive lenses:

"The progressive lens is a seamless multi-focal lens. The power of the lens gradually change from reading zone at the bottom of the lens to middle zone and then to far distance zone at the top of the lens. As a result, you can see clearer in every distance or focal length. The progress of lens power change is based on the lens design. For example, the progression is fast for the short corridor progressive lens designed for small frame. The shape of each useful zone is as shown in the picture. The shape may vary among designs of each manufacturer, but most are likely to be the same. The left and right sides of the lens are not so useful, so the big central zone is better. It’s hard to say which progressive lens is better than others."

Last edited by racklefratz; 06-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Bi focal glasses any suggestions on what to get?