Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Fairing Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zumo Fairing Mount

Well, I'm still considering my options on how to mount my Zumo with my new Chubby bars. I'm leaning towards the HD Fairing Mount manily due to price and the clean looking install. Powerlet is my 2nd choice, but they're on backorder and they are also very pricy.

So my question is for those who have the fairing mount. Do you like it? Can you still use a windshield bag? It doesn't mention anything on the web, but the pic looks like it might interfere.

And finally, I ride to work without the GPS. If I go for the fairing mount, it looks like the cradle stays permanately attached. Is that a big deal? Does it look really ugly without the GPS installed?

Thanks for the help, and sorry to be so **** on this, but it's one of those decisions that's hard to reverse once you make it since you have to drill three holes in your fairing.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
Well, I'm still considering my options on how to mount my Zumo with my new Chubby bars. I'm leaning towards the HD Fairing Mount manily due to price and the clean looking install. Powerlet is my 2nd choice, but they're on backorder and they are also very pricy.

So my question is for those who have the fairing mount. Do you like it? Can you still use a windshield bag? It doesn't mention anything on the web, but the pic looks like it might interfere.

And finally, I ride to work without the GPS. If I go for the fairing mount, it looks like the cradle stays permanately attached. Is that a big deal? Does it look really ugly without the GPS installed?

Thanks for the help, and sorry to be so **** on this, but it's one of those decisions that's hard to reverse once you make it since you have to drill three holes in your fairing.

I have the HD fairing mount and am happy with it and the location. Easy to read and see in bright sunlight too. It does shake and vibrate with the rest of the fairing when idling but it smooths right out once over 1500 rpms. The rubber cap is held by a built in magnet on the bottom of the cradle when the Zumo is in place which hides a small part of the fuel gauge. Not a big deal... The pic will give you an idea as they were taken while sitting on the seat.

I have windshield bags as well and yes the mount does interfere with them so I did have to lose one.

The cradle is permanantly attached to the mount where the rubber cap is there to protect the contacts when not in use. I might add that you supply the cradle as it's not included with the mount.

Pics include one without the Zumo so you can decide whether it's ugly or not. To me it's not but I rarely go anywhere without the Zumo.... XM is great!

Attached Thumbnails Zumo Fairing Mount-100_1953.jpg   Zumo Fairing Mount-100_1954.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Another point to consider is, holes in the inner fairing are forever.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks 08UltraRider, the pics are very helpful. I like how the Zumo looks when mounted, but I'm not crazy about loosing the windshield bag. Much better to find out beforehand than after drilling the fairing.