Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speakers like Pipes? Personal Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Speakers like Pipes? Personal Preference?

OK Gang --- Lay it on me. I need tunes! Have 09 EG Classic, Hogtunes speakers, tweeter pod, and amp. Sounds great below 40. Need to hear tunes (with bass) at 60 mph or faster. Thought about a subwoofer, but might start with speakers. I need the biggest & baddest speakers that'll go into my fairing --- larger than the 5 1/4 Hogtunes. Tell me which speakers to get, before I get a sub. (Or, anybody got a subwoofer too?) Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 AM
sortasuave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speakers are a subjective thing...

Do you have an amp with your current setup?

Forget doing the sub... At speeds, you won't hear it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sortasuave
speakers are a subjective thing...

Do you have an amp with your current setup?

Forget doing the sub... At speeds, you won't hear it.
Yes. I have the Hogtunes amp on it --- 32 watts per channel (minimum). I'm pretty sure I won't be able to hear a sub in the tourpak, but I was thinking that I might be able to feel some thump, and it might satisfy my bass jones. Got a speaker upgrade? What do you like?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 PM
sortasuave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Yes. I have the Hogtunes amp on it --- 32 watts per channel (minimum). I'm pretty sure I won't be able to hear a sub in the tourpak, but I was thinking that I might be able to feel some thump, and it might satisfy my bass jones. Got a speaker upgrade? What do you like?
While I don't have a sub on my bike, I've been told by many people you won't feel the thump going down the road. So I've not bothered with setting one of these up. Keep in mind that bass requires a lot of air to be heard.. Going down the road at 60 MPH (or faster) there is no air that stable enough to carry the wave... So... nothing to feel.

As for speaker upgrade... I would probably just upgrade the amp if you are not able to hear it. Hog Tunes speakers are fine. (I'm sure that statement will start a war of words from other members here). There are better speakers out in the world, but honestly you could spend HUGE amounts of $$ and hear very little difference.

As for what I'm running....

I'm using the stock H/K head unit (an 07 street glide). I've put a ARC Audio amp on the bike. It's called the 125.2 mini. There is a guy on here by the name of Firecap501 that sells them. His e-mail address is hawgrock@gmail.com. His support is very well known on the boards and I can't recommend him enough. In addition to amps, he also sells (as part of a package) ARC Audio speakers if you decide you want to change speakers.... Given that you have $$ in Hog Tunes I would probably just stock with those and try a more powerful amp. If you opt to upgrade, I would then look at getting ARC Audio with 6.5" speakers. You'll need a adaptor kit to install these speakers. Firecap501 can also help you with getting those.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed Biketronics 6.5'' speakers,gives more bass but not like a sub.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arc 6.5 components and arc 5.25 in the hog tunes lowers and a arc mini amp at 2ohm 125ch
loud and clear and love it

Old 06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by sortasuave
While I don't have a sub on my bike, I've been told by many people you won't feel the thump going down the road. So I've not bothered with setting one of these up. Keep in mind that bass requires a lot of air to be heard.. Going down the road at 60 MPH (or faster) there is no air that stable enough to carry the wave... So... nothing to feel.

As for speaker upgrade... I would probably just upgrade the amp if you are not able to hear it. Hog Tunes speakers are fine. (I'm sure that statement will start a war of words from other members here). There are better speakers out in the world, but honestly you could spend HUGE amounts of $$ and hear very little difference.

As for what I'm running....

I'm using the stock H/K head unit (an 07 street glide). I've put a ARC Audio amp on the bike. It's called the 125.2 mini. There is a guy on here by the name of Firecap501 that sells them. His e-mail address is hawgrock@gmail.com. His support is very well known on the boards and I can't recommend him enough. In addition to amps, he also sells (as part of a package) ARC Audio speakers if you decide you want to change speakers.... Given that you have $$ in Hog Tunes I would probably just stock with those and try a more powerful amp. If you opt to upgrade, I would then look at getting ARC Audio with 6.5" speakers. You'll need a adaptor kit to install these speakers. Firecap501 can also help you with getting those.
Thanks for the feedback. It all makes sense. I "spoke" with Pez from Hogtunes today, via email a few times, and he told me that he's coming out with a more powerful amp next spring. Sounds like a different amp will make more of a difference than anything else. Thanks again.