Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Head Light Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Head Light Adjustment

Since my RG was new in 08 the bubble head light cover never fit right. The bottom is really hard to get in and the bottom of the cover is scratched up due to the black headlight surround rubbing it. I had it in the dealer for service and had them look at it and they said they adjusted it (like a lot of other things - have to find a new dealer). I did not bother with it until last night when my SERG Bezel came in and I tried to snap it in place. The dealer did nothing and the SERG Bezel would not snap in the bottom because the bottom right of the the black surround is out too far.

How is this adjusted? I know I need to get a service manual. I see underneith that there is two long threaded screws or bolts and there is a hole on the other side of the fairing but it does not look like there is any kind of head on it to turn it? Also is this the head light aiming screw? If this gets adjusted where the black surround is moved back toward the fairing so the head light covers fit correctly is this going to through off the head light aim?

Please help.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

The secret to adjusting the headlight aim on a Road Glide is to use a deep 3/16" socket on a flex handle. The service manual calls for a deep mm socket but you will never find it anywhere unless you are willing to pay $40.00 or so from some specialty tool maker. The Harley shops don't usually have the mm socket either, so just us a deep 3/16" socket w/flex handle.
I found that when I got my headlights aimed properly that the housing did just barely touch the plastic lens and after awhile it did put a small "buff" on the inside lens.
Another thing you might want to consider is putting some Osram-Sylvania H4 12v-100/80W bulbs in your Road Glide. The beauty of these is they have a wide beam at low beam unlike the stock bulbs which have a spot at low beam. Cost is about $12-15 each. They draw about the same juice as stock and won't burn up your wiring or lens.
When you change out headlight bulbs you take off the outside of the fairing which is easy. Four or five screws I think. Fifteen minute job.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Is this adjusted with the 3/16" deep socket from the back side of the fairing? There is a hole there and I could feel the bolt and could see the end a little but could not see that there was any kind of head on it? I have a small Craftsmans deep socket set that I will try tonight. I will also try the bulbs the next time I take the fairing off...have not attempted that yet.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Just helped a buddy adjust his a few weeks ago, it calls for a weird size mm socket, my neighbor had one, it took a couple of minutes.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Since my RG was new in 08 the bubble head light cover never fit right. The bottom is really hard to get in and the bottom of the cover is scratched up due to the black headlight surround rubbing it. I had it in the dealer for service and had them look at it and they said they adjusted it (like a lot of other things - have to find a new dealer). I did not bother with it until last night when my SERG Bezel came in and I tried to snap it in place. The dealer did nothing and the SERG Bezel would not snap in the bottom because the bottom right of the the black surround is out too far.

How is this adjusted? I know I need to get a service manual. I see underneith that there is two long threaded screws or bolts and there is a hole on the other side of the fairing but it does not look like there is any kind of head on it to turn it? Also is this the head light aiming screw? If this gets adjusted where the black surround is moved back toward the fairing so the head light covers fit correctly is this going to through off the head light aim?

Please help.

Thanks
You will need to pull the fairing and back off all three adjusters. If you wind back the bottom two your headlight will be aimed way two low. I would give the top adjuster a few extra turns in to give yourself more room for adjustment on the bottom.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

Can I adjust the top the same way with out taking the fairing off? Same amount of turns on the top as the bottom? Only one side of the bottom is out too far? I can look from underneith and see that one side is way further out than the other?

Is there a way to aim the headlight, like on level ground so many feet from a wall and the light should shine up so many feet or inches on the wall?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
I know I need to get a service manual.

You answered most of your questions in the OP.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

3/16" socket worked great, couple of turns on the one side that was too far out and the bezel slipped right on.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A big +1 on pulling the fairing off and adjusting the top adjustment screw! It'll fix the problem with the bezel rubbing on the bottom of the headlight cover and it'll get the lights aimed up higher so you can light up the pavement farther out than 5 feet in front of the bike! I figured this out the hard way after mine started rubbing the cover.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Adjust FLTR headlamps

Using a 4.5 mm deepwell socket with a flex driver, rotate hex adjusters located near bottom edge of inner fairing. Note: a 4.5 mm socket is harder to find than a hens tooth so just use a deepwell 3/16" socket instead.
CW= Clockwise
CCW=Counterclockwise

Horizontal: Turn either the left or right adjuster to adjust headlamp horizontally.

Vertical: Turn both adjusters equally to adjust headlamp vertically.

Move the hex adjuster on left CW to move beam to the right.
Move the hex adjuster on the right CCW to move beam to the right.

Move the hex adjuster on the left CCW to move beam to the left.
Move the hex adjuster on the right CW to move beam to the left.

Move both hex adjusters (left & right) sides equally CW to move the beam upward.

Move both hex adjusters (left & right) sides equally CCW to move the beam downward.

The following users liked this post:
PacketRat (10-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Road Glide Head Light Adjustment