Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
qwest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station

Sunday was a real nice day. I got in a 150 mile ride in the morning, gassed up the bike at the corner station when I got home, pulled into the driveway and washed the bike.

I went for a little ride Sunday evening. About 10 miles into that ride, the bike got sick. It started missing, back firing, surging and running on one cylinder unless I was really heavy on the throttle.

So I limped it home and assumed I had some bad gas.

Monday afternoon, I called the gas station and asked if they’d had any indication their premium was off-spec. The manager said no, but he took my name and number and said he’d let me know if anyone else called. If it was bad gas, they’d take care of things.

I pulled my plugs. Rear was good. Front was fouled. I siphoned the tank dry.

Today, I picked up some new plugs and a can of Seafoam. Replaced the bad plug, got some gas from a station I’ve never had issues with and added about 1/3 of a can of seafoam. I went for a ride. Bike was running just as bad after about 20 miles.

So something else is wrong. Bad fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter? Power Commander failed?

I started with the easiest to diagnose and pulled the Power Commander to see if the bike would run better without it. I unplugged the connection at the FCU and reached behind to get the connection from the bike to the Power Commander. I noted the adhesive tape that had secured it to the underside of the battery box had let go and the connection was dangling above the swing-arm. Whatever, it didn’t seem to be any worse for wear. As I was pulling this connection, I heard something sizzling on the exhaust. I realized the sizzle was coming from water that was dripping from the connection I was taking apart.

Crap.

Saturday, I was cruising the garden section at Home Depot. Spotted a garden hose sprayer and picked it up. My old one was old and sticky. I put the new one on to wash the bike on Sunday. The old one, while sticky, had a real nice fine spray to it. Perfect for washing the bike. The new one was a gentle spray, but it was a little more powerful. Obviously, I had soaked the connection under the battery box to the extent it got water in it.

I was the cause of the problem.

So I’ve left the connections apart. They are drying. Tomorrow or the next day, I’ll throw them back together and see what happens. One of the following scenarios will play itself out.

1) Everything will be fine.
2) Power Commander will be unusable, but bike will be fine.
3) Bike will be damaged requiring electrical repair.

Lesson learned.

Anyone want to speculate on what might happen?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Number 1 it will be fine. At least it was with my PC on a RK.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain

spray everything down with WD-40 and I'm betting things didn't get any wetter than they would in a really bad thunderstorm so I bet you'll be ok in a day or so..

Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

My guess would be;
1) Everything will be fine. +1 on the WD 40

Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know what happens.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
qwest
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the advice.

Wilco on the WD40 and hope for the best.

I'll post back with results.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup yup on the WD40 WD = Water Displacing

Adam

Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Why do you guys wash your bikes with a hose? One thing I got from riding metrics is Honda spray on cleaner/polisher. It basically seems to be similar to pledge furniture polish in an aerosol can.

Spray it on one section at a time and wipe off with a microfiber towel. I've been using it for years, never caused any problems or swirl marks or anything else. I do the whole bike with it. Works great on windshields, chrome, painted surfaces, just about everything.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell ya what....I would rather find a bad connection by using a garden hose to wash my bike in the driveway that finding out riding in the rain. If that is all that takes to short out the connection then there is/was a problem.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
jwork101
Advanced

ouch! sorry to hear bro!

Quick Reply: So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station