Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Put dialectric grease on the PC connections. It's in the directions from Dynojet.
+1 and dont be afraid to use a lot of it it wont hurt.. If you get caught in the rain whats gonna happen? I bought a tube of the permatex stuff at advance auto and it was cheap. U use it every time I pull a connector even inside the fairing .

Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH, Bull$hit! Just put yer hose on jet and Blast off anything especially the electronics. Itsa Harley for crying out loud. Abuse the hell out of it. Or buy a ricer. jk, be genital with it.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
My guess would be;
1) Everything will be fine. +1 on the WD 40
Had this happen on my 01 RK.
WD 40 will greatly assist in removing water from unwanted places!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally speaking, I would not apply WD-40 on an electrical connection. I know there's a lot on here that do so, but it does nothing to dry out a connection. Dielectric grease should be applied to EVERY electrical connection when removing. It is an insulator (from moisture), not a conductor. That is the reason most manufactures specifically state to apply it.

Our bikes are not water-proof, so water is going to get into things that are not meant to get wet. The dielectric grease simply keeps water from contacting the connections.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
Why do you guys wash your bikes with a hose? One thing I got from riding metrics is Honda spray on cleaner/polisher. It basically seems to be similar to pledge furniture polish in an aerosol can.

Spray it on one section at a time and wipe off with a microfiber towel. I've been using it for years, never caused any problems or swirl marks or anything else. I do the whole bike with it. Works great on windshields, chrome, painted surfaces, just about everything.
Pledge furniture polish and microfiber cloths work perfectly for me. The only water that touches my H-D falls from the clouds. YMMV

Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
asatguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use WD-40 only to disperse water when connectors are ALREADY WET. Dielectric grease for anything else.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can clean a bike without a pressure washer, you aren't riding it enough. Memorial Day weekend we spent 3 days in the rain and bugs. I'd like to see you clean that off without water.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Triggerman
Advanced

Get rid of the crappy PC and get a real tune . Your bike will run better. You will be able to get it wet(imagine that). And you will never have to worry about it letting you down. Wait till your 5hrs. away from anywhere and it fails-that sucks!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
izzy
Cruiser

I see these kind of problems regularly at work. Unplug the connection and either blow it dry with compressed air, use contact cleaner on it, or get your hair dryer after it. Apply dilectric grease to the pins on the plug (not too much). After plugging it firmly back together if you want a little more assurance, wrap the connection point with fiberglass tape, it will take the heat and wet better. I'm betting you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station