Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 AM
qwest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmac53
and the answer is???
I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. We'll see what happens in about 12 hours.

You're an optimistic bunch. I've got my fingers crossed.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
cfoster80
Tourer

I had the same thing happen. So i unplugged the PC sprayed with contact cleaner and used dielectric grease on the connectors. But it seemed to loose my map on the PC (wouldnt run right at all) so i plugged in the lap top and downloaded a map from the Dynojet website. Been fine now for about 2 monthes.

Good luck

Old 06-17-2009, 08:22 AM
qwest
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EG Ultra Classic
I guess I am a little at a loss on this one. If the bike won't take a good pressure wash without grounding out the electrics under the seat, then how can you rely on it to ride in a rain storm and especially pass a truck with water spraying everywhere at 50 mph. I pressure wash mine off, removing saddle bags and spraying under the seat, tank everywhere dirt collects, then, ride it home to wipe it down and wax. If it shorts out with a pressure wash job, then something is wrong. How can you trust it?
I agree. Something went wrong.

I've had the thing on the bike since the beginning of last year. It saw a fair amount of rain during the summer. No problems.

I don't recall aiming the hose anywhere that it would have sprayed the connection. It appeared to be connected properly.

I'll inspect it the connection as I'm putting it back together and tape the joint, but there's only so much I can do. Hopefully this is just a freak occurance.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

+1 with Hog

Old 06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you re-connect, put some dielectric grease in the connection.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
qwest
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
Before you re-connect, put some dielectric grease in the connection.
Will do - Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard people question why we a hose to wash our scoots, which makes me think theirs really never gets dirty? After riding in the rain, or down some dirt roads, i'd never even imagine just spraying something on and wiping it off. If it was just a touch up after a ride on a nice day, perhaps, but not to "wash" it. just my $0.02

Now, as far as the Power Commander goes, i'm always checking to mak sure the connection is staying put under the battery box. also put a healthy amount of dielectric grease on the connections, and the boot to stop water, and then wrapped them in electrical tape. Sure, a pain in the **** when i need to get it apart, but i'd rather that than get water in there.

Last edited by HDRider2002; 06-17-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
hounddog1257
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are telling me i spent 20,000 on a bike im not supposed to get wet im going to be pissed! I wash it with a hose or a pressure washer, always have and have had 0 problems. Its a motorcycle its supposed to get wet.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use conductive grease on my connectors,keeps moisture out and you get a better electrical connection,can get it at an auto-parts store in a little tube,cheap too.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's your PC installed on your 02? I have an 07 and it's under the right hand battery cover. The reason I ask - a couple weeks ago, after driving through a 2 hour rainstorm my bike started cutting out when I'd hit a bump. Checked under the cover first thinking it was my PC, and everything was bone dry. I think it's pretty well protected under there, during a rainstorm anyway.
It turned out to be my positive cable at the starter corroded and was barely hanging on.

Quick Reply: So - I'm the idiot, not the gas station