Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
SeanfromVt
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer

Just kidding about the 100 questions though I do have a few.

If any of you saw my introductory post you may know I am researching the purchase of a Street Glide. I have several questions that I would like honest first hand answers to so here it goes:

Is the 2009 frame that much better? Is it worth passing up a lightly used or heldover 2008 model, and hopefully saving a few thousand dollars? Does a Touring Stabilizer such as Throttle Up sells make up for the difference at all?

Does anyone have any experience with the H-D tallboy seat? I am 6' 4" and have actually not yet sat on an HD touring bike. A friend has ridden a friend of his SG and said he felt cramped on it and he is a few inches shorter than me.

So, how about you taller riders, what have you done to be able to stretch out on your SG? On my current ride a Kawasaki 1600 classic I added forward controls and ditched the floorboards so I could stretch out a little more, feeling more comfortable being stretched out yet having my feet near controls as opposed to up on pegs on a crash bar.

Anybody with experience with any of the newer FL Forward controls? JayBrake, HHI etc?

Thank you all for your answers and your patience with me as I ask a ton of questions about this.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read wonderful things here about the 09s if your budget allows for one. Besides a water collection issue here and there, I think most are thrilled with the 2009 new frame and all of the other changes( pipes, tires, ect)

If money is a key element, go for what you like. I have an 07, love the 09s, but am quite content with my bike.

I think you should ride a few bikes too. Try the Roadglide for stretch too. I felt a bit scrunched up on my EG Standard, but now after a seat mod(by myself), floorboard extentions (soos), highway pegs and a rider backrest, comfort is no longer an issue. I wanted to buy a Streetglide, even had one on order, then got divorced. I had a 96 Dyna I never rode after selling my 03 Roadking. My new bride-2-be said trade the Dyna and she would pick up the difference. I bought an EG Standard, a bike I swore before was a stupid prior to searching around. I loved the color, less bumpers, and it was a left over at a killer price.

I could have had any bike, but for me, looking, comparing and asking a lot of questions really paid off. Now is an awesome time to help a dealer by stealing an 09 with the 2010s right around the corner. Unless your getting a 2010, you should be paying under MSRP.

Best of luck.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM
firehouse18
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as the bike itself, I have an 08 street glide for a year and put 15,000 miles on it. Couldn't be happier. I am a shorter rider so I can't speak to tall riding.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't tell you about the difference between the 08 and 09 but I can tell you I love my 09 SG. I traded my 07 NT a few weeks ago on the 09 SG and have already put 1300 miles on it. I loved the NT but it was only comfortable around town or very short rides. I just got back from a 700+ mile ride on the SG and the only problems I had were the floor boards, windshield, speakers, and power. At 6'1" with a 34" inseam, the floor boards need to be extended out (easy fix with some of these guy's extender). I have highway pegs that helped out a lot. The have the 8" windshield but plan on getting the 10" or 12" for long trips. The speakers are ok at slower speeds but not at 60+ MPH (easy fix). Last but not least; the power. The bike has a decent amount of power with just me on it and nothing/no one else. The ride I went on was with my wife and the bike loaded like a pack mule. The bike had enough power to do anything I wanted it to but I could tell it was struggling up steep hills. Once I see a deal on a 103 or 110 I plan to jump on it but I wouldn't say its a necessity.

The best thing about it was that my wife loved the ride and trip. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM
SeanfromVt
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentleman,

Thanks for the input so far. I am kind of up in the air about the looks of the Road Glide. The dual headlight fairing has me completely confused. I really can't decide whether or not I like it.

I know that just about any shortcoming that I find on a new bike can be fixed. I was just really hoping that I might actually find a bike that didn't need a couple grand in add-ons to be right. I know, I know that's a dream world! But, I just was really hoping.

Luckily I have the time to shop and read and so on.

Sean

Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Rent one before you buy. That's the best way to get a good feel for the bike. I was up in Pa a few weeks ago and rented an '09 SG for a day. Other than it riding a little rougher than my RK, it was a great ride. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 526 Posts

many dealers do demo ride (ussually at open houses) ride the street and road and electra then decide.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely rent before you buy. Try the SG, Ultra, and RG. Believe me there is a difference and lots of dealerships will credit the rental if you buy from them. Spend some time on each bike and get some highway miles so you know what you are really getting.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think its possible to find the bike that you won't have to do anything to make it right for you. I love my '09. I put a seat and highway pegs right away. Then I did the stage 1 from fuel moto. I don't have the height issue you do but the taller windshield, a custom seat that moves you back and you should be good. The bike handles great. You won't be disappointed.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 (with a Bagger Brace installed), I rode an 09 when I had the 08 in for a 35,000 mile service. Yes, there is that much of a difference. As soon as the 2010 comes out I will be trading up.

Quick Reply: 100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer