Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanfromVt
Just kidding about the 100 questions though I do have a few.

If any of you saw my introductory post you may know I am researching the purchase of a Street Glide. I have several questions that I would like honest first hand answers to so here it goes:

Is the 2009 frame that much better? Is it worth passing up a lightly used or heldover 2008 model, and hopefully saving a few thousand dollars? Does a Touring Stabilizer such as Throttle Up sells make up for the difference at all?

Does anyone have any experience with the H-D tallboy seat? I am 6' 4" and have actually not yet sat on an HD touring bike. A friend has ridden a friend of his SG and said he felt cramped on it and he is a few inches shorter than me.

So, how about you taller riders, what have you done to be able to stretch out on your SG? On my current ride a Kawasaki 1600 classic I added forward controls and ditched the floorboards so I could stretch out a little more, feeling more comfortable being stretched out yet having my feet near controls as opposed to up on pegs on a crash bar.

Anybody with experience with any of the newer FL Forward controls? JayBrake, HHI etc?

Thank you all for your answers and your patience with me as I ask a ton of questions about this.

Get the 09. its well worth the extra $$$.

I had the tallboy on my 06 RK custom. I am 6'4" and that seat really made a difference. 3 day 2100 mile trips never hurt my butt. Alas, it is my understanding that you cannot get a tallboy seat for 07 and newer models.

I have pegs set low on the crash bar. It gives me all the room my legs need.

Tim

Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting an 09 on the cheap isn't to hard. If you get a used one.

I went all over looking at bikes, I got quoted 22-23K for a new SG. Well, that was a bit tough to chew. So I went with a used 09. Out the door for just shy of 19K with cruise and security on the bike.

Now you might be asking your self, how do I find a used 09? Simple answer, get a decommisioned rental from the harley fleet. These dealers rent bikes all the time, well, new models are comming and they are starting to clear out the rentals. Get them while they are available.

Goodluck!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
streetglidegirl
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Street Glide Upgrade....

I recently purchased on 08 Street Glide. Having the need for speed that I do, I put Klock Werks Revolver slip on pipes on it and wanted to put a K&N Air Charger on it. My local HD Dealer told me I HAD to put a Power Commander on it. After cussing and discussing this with my ol' man (who happens to own a Harley Repair Shop), we decided to put the K&N Air Charger on it and to have the ECM reflashed to a Stage 1. Put her on the Dyno and I have increased the HP to 72.94 and max torque to 88.29 (at 3800 rpm) - which is where I wanted it - at mid-range. My air/fuel is dang near perfect! So, if any of you are wanting to increase your HP by 22%, this is the deal for you! Note: I also put a Klock Werks windshield on my SG. Money WELL spent! Believe you me, this girl will run! PS My 01 Lowrider sets in the garage and cries every time I walk pass her.... Get a SG. You will have no regrets!!!! I LOVE my 08!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 08 SG love it. I took a 09 SG for a test ride a few weeks ago I couldn't feel that much difference in the 09 to justify trading in my 08 and taking a hit . What I like about the 09 is the new rear fender and no grab bar it's a cleaner look and wider rear tire. I would rent 09 and test ride a 08 and see what you think . A buddy of mine found a used garage queen 08 SG with less 5000 miles and a lot of upgrades ,exhaust ,power comander ,ABS,cruise for $14500.00 the guy was asking 16500.00 . So shop around cash helps.