Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08' Street Glide I bought last year in Milwaukee and rode it back to Colorado where home is. Made a additional trip back for the 105th. 6'-4" rider. Love it. I'm sure the 09' is great also. I'm just happy to be able to own an HD and have the opportunity to enjoy the open road. Should be able to get a left over 08' at a great price if they are out there. Good luck! Either choice is going to make you a happy camper!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Racey
Novice

I'm 6'3" 36" inseam, ride a Road Glide and feel very comfortable with my feet on the highway pegs. Street glide is basically same rider geometry, they are the same bike with a different faring basically.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
JPstreetglide
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3" with a 36 inseam. Loved my 2007 street glide but you will definately have to change the seat. I am comfortable with the mustang daytripper which lets you slide farther back on the saddle and is quite comfortable. Also have a mustang solo seat when I want to change up. When riding a rental such as an ultra you will not be comfortable with a stock seat as it pushes you forward. See if they can change the seat to a lower profile seat so you can stretch out. The ultra rides a lot better than the street glide.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanfromVt
Is the 2009 frame that much better? Is it worth passing up a lightly used or heldover 2008 model, and hopefully saving a few thousand dollars? Does a Touring Stabilizer such as Throttle Up sells make up for the difference at all?
That would depend on the price difference, but I would lean heavily toward an '09 if the choice was mine. The only detraction for them is that your are presently locked into the Dunlop D407/408 tires until a competitive brand enters the market with that size. Presently you are married to HD for your tires, which isn't an economical proposition IMO.

Stabilizers help but don't totally eliminate the tail-wagging problem on sweepers. With a stabilizer I find this behavior to occur only on high-speed sweepers (70mph or more) with uneven pavement, but it isn't bad enough to label it unsafe.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM
meintel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SeanfromVt
Gentleman,

Thanks for the input so far. I am kind of up in the air about the looks of the Road Glide. The dual headlight fairing has me completely confused. I really can't decide whether or not I like it.

I know that just about any shortcoming that I find on a new bike can be fixed. I was just really hoping that I might actually find a bike that didn't need a couple grand in add-ons to be right. I know, I know that's a dream world! But, I just was really hoping.

Luckily I have the time to shop and read and so on.

Sean
Thing with the Road Glide is that you either love it or hate it. I was having the same issue. Road Glide or Street Glide? After test riding both I went with the Road Glide. I did not like the feel of the Street Glide because all of the controls and everything were in your face. I like the "Cockpit" feel of the Road Glide better.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm very happy with my 2005..... and everything being what it is, I see no reason to even THINK about a new bike..... but.......
Unless the price was at least $2000 cheaper, I'd go with new, rather than left-over... but that's just me... each bike will be "used" as soon as I sign on the dotted line.
Demo the various glides just to get a "feel", then rent the one you liked best, for a day. Many dealerships will apply the rental fee towards the purchase, something to work into the deal...
Then again.... 2010's will be released soon, and maybe you can get an even better deal, soon

Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

So I am 6'3" and the batwing fairing definatley sits much closer to you than that of the Road Glide. I think both are great looking bikes. I would test ride each and then make a decision. The Road Glide will put the fairing farther away from you so you won't feel so cramped and in my opinion rides better but it will be your bike so you should ride or at the very least sit on each and make up your mind then.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
cryan9
Road Captain

Another solution for tall riders is a different seat. A lower profile seat can move you back about three inches as does the HD Brawler seat that I have. I love it. I can really stretch out. I'm 6' and I found myself scooting up and back a little bit on long rides to vary my seating position.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO - if you're going for the SG - go for the wide tire 09. Just finishes the look!
On top of all the other stuff.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I don't have an 09 and have not ridden one, but from what I have read on here it is worth it to spend the extra as long as your wallet allows for it. As far as being comfortable on a bike you have numerous different options to make that happen. Seat, bars, forwards, moving your floor boards, etc...You can move the boards forward or out to he sides or both. I prefer boards as they provide for more options than forwards.

Quick Reply: 100 Questions from a Prospective Street Glide Buyer