Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion - experience request.. does the opening of the muffler effect the sound level

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion - experience request.. does the opening of the muffler effect the sound level

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience / measured the amplitude (loudness) of sound from a muffler that the rider experiences based on the cut of the end pipe / cap.

If it slashes down (top part of the tip is the longest), does sound hit the ground and bounce up to the rider? (around town of course)

If it slashes up (top part of the tip is the shortest), does sound come out of the top and hit the rider?

If it is a straight tip, does sound go straight out the back, and provide the least amount of sound the rider experiences?

Things that make me go hmmmm.......

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don\t know, but the turn downs sound louder than the straight cuts.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Have heard (no pun intended) that "Fishtails" definitely sound different then all the rest. but I'm sure you're correct that the end tip does alter the sound or at least the loudness level. I would think that turndowns are fairly quiet.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only makes sense that turn downs will be loudest to the rider, followed by straight and turn up lowest. Reflection off the ground accounts for most of the sound a rider hears. Also slash down, straight, slash up.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 PM
barkster99
Tourer

Originally Posted by Johan96
Don\t know, but the turn downs sound louder than the straight cuts.
Pretty funny. Just goes to show you...

I just put turn-downs on my 2-piece SE slipons and they're quite a bit quieter than the piston end-caps (pointed straight back). So much for the "bouncing off the road" theory. My 2 cents anyway.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by barkster99
Pretty funny. Just goes to show you...

I just put turn-downs on my 2-piece SE slipons and they're quite a bit quieter than the piston end-caps (pointed straight back). So much for the "bouncing off the road" theory. My 2 cents anyway.
That's what I've heard too. Pointing the tips to the ground deadens the sound for the rider and makes them quieter overall. I have the straight piston tips and am happy with them.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Length has a big effect on how much sound the rider hears. The farther back the tips are the less noise for the rider.
Judging from the bikes I've been around turn downs are a lot quieter.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Originally Posted by piasspj
Length has a big effect on how much sound the rider hears. The farther back the tips are the less noise for the rider.
Judging from the bikes I've been around turn downs are a lot quieter.
Based on the length comment Rodeo, it also appears that your HD SE Touring Muffs are also longer than the MO's... would you agree? With the straight tips, that puts the sound outlet the furthest away from you when riding... or so it seems.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that turn down are probably quieter, but i hate riding behind guys with turndowns, as they really do help kick up dust/dirt.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed a difference in the sound volume depending if the tourpak is on or off.

The size of the opening as well as what type of baffle will affect the sound volume.

Last edited by mattman22033; 06-17-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: opinion - experience request.. does the opening of the muffler effect the sound level