Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion - experience request.. does the opening of the muffler effect the sound level

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingKamchi
Based on the length comment Rodeo, it also appears that your HD SE Touring Muffs are also longer than the MO's... would you agree? With the straight tips, that puts the sound outlet the furthest away from you when riding... or so it seems.
Correct, but with these HD SE Touring cans, they can be really quiet when you are just "cruisin' along" anyway, so it doesn't really matter. They only get noisy when you want them to, (downshift and get into the throttle.) So really, it's a non-issue what tips you get with these. I would just "buy" the style tips you like and not worry about the sound from them. Also, these cans break in some, get a little louder at roughly 500 miles and then again maybe around 2000 miles, seem a tad deeper. Am very happy with them right now and I like that they are street legal too. These are probably close to stock except perhaps a little louder, although I myself "liked" the stock 09 cans anyway. I don't wear earplugs and I don't want to "need to" wear them and these current cans work for me. I tried the Monsters but found myself always hunting for RPMs and shifting to find a quiet zone where they didn't make noise. I got tired of doing that and didn't feel they were appropriate for a touring bike and long several day rides. That's just me though and this topic is purely subjective as everyone's ears and level of hearing is different. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you liked and didn't mind your stock 09 cans, then you'll probably like these cans as a replacement.

Last edited by RODEO; 06-17-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
marshrat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always figured the tapered end caps would be the quietest. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
I think that turn down are probably quieter, but i hate riding behind guys with turndowns, as they really do help kick up dust/dirt.
I'm with you bro Dido
Rick from San Diego / TJ Mexico

1992 flhtc
2002 V-Rod
soon to have 260 Rear
AW wheels

V-mods

Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marshrat
I always figured the tapered end caps would be the quietest. Anyone have any experience with them?
Yes they are a bit quieter.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The endcaps make no difference in volume whatsoever. Straight, slash-up, slash-down turn-down, or turn-out, no difference in volume. A loud muffler will always be a loud muffler and a quiet muffler will always be a quiet muffler. It is true though that fishtails have a unique sound - not louder or quieter, just unique.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM
barkster99
Tourer

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
The endcaps make no difference in volume whatsoever. Straight, slash-up, slash-down turn-down, or turn-out, no difference in volume. A loud muffler will always be a loud muffler and a quiet muffler will always be a quiet muffler. It is true though that fishtails have a unique sound - not louder or quieter, just unique.
Hate to disagree but... I just put switched from straight cut to turn-downs and they're definitely quieter. Not just different, quieter. Less dbs. (No, I don't have a meter.)

Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piasspj
Length has a big effect on how much sound the rider hears. The farther back the tips are the less noise for the rider.
Judging from the bikes I've been around turn downs are a lot quieter.
Sorry to disagree with you but, the shorter the muffler (assuming it ends under the saddlebag) the quieter it will be to the rider - and passenger. The saddlebag acts as a buffer to the sound that would normally make it to the rider.

When I was looking for new mufflers, I think it was the stealer who pointed out to me that basic Road King Classics have smaller saddlebags and no tourpack. This allows more noise to get to the passenger. My wife complained about my V&H Ovals being too loud - didn't bug me (The noise, not my wife) <G>. If I lean way back while riding to where her head would be it is definately louder.

My new mufflers are way better.