Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-Gem Shotgun Lights *Warning*

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-Gem Shotgun Lights *Warning*

Replaced the grab bar with these last night and just wanted to let everyone know a couple of things. Product looks nice and solid and the fitment was good. The problem is the wiring. First it comes with a roll of small tubing that looks like heatshrink tubing. It is really hard to feed the three wires into it and it is not heatshrink (don't ask how I know) and this is not mentioned in the instructions. The other thing is the wires are only 10" long which is not even long enough to reach to the wiring harness under the seat. I know I can just add some wire to extend them but this is another unessasary splice that would not be needed if the wires were a couple of inches longer. I guess they do this to sell thier $25 wiring extention which connects it to the tail light but I am using that for something else.

Sorry just makes me mad, these little things are expensive enough.

Due to the short wires I have not got them hooked up yet so I will have to report back on how they function.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
ncbeast
Road Master

Just extended the wires and the lights are nice and bright and look great. Just the wires were too short. Will post pictures after I get the Street Glide Rear Fascia mounted.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Really don't know what you're complaining about.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by King Crimson
Thank you, I was scratching my head as well. I picked up a set on ebay made by another company. Exact same thing and LOVE them. They did a one off custom set for me with small blue led lights and they are killer!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by King Crimson
+1 on that.
and if the wire were to long, you would have to cut them,
damn company can't make thing to suit your needs.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

Originally Posted by Badbagger
Thank you, I was scratching my head as well. I picked up a set on ebay made by another company. Exact same thing and LOVE them. They did a one off custom set for me with small blue led lights and they are killer!
I have red LED ones, super bright and fairly easy to install. Definitely easy to wire.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

I am complaining because they could have made the wires 12" and I would have had enough to make it to the wiring harness to splice them in.

Since they wires were only 10" long (they barley make it past the strut covers) I had to splice in extra wire to extend them and I think that is really redicules. Now I have an extra splice (failure point -yes a soldered) that should have not been nessasary.

I was just trying to make people aware that is looking into buying them. That is really the only complaint. Fit and finish is great and they are very bright.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

I am using the shotgun lights for turn signals only right now. I removed my turn signal bar and have the shotguns wired for just off/on with the signals. I wired them this way because I was afraid they would not be as bright as just turn signals and wanted them as bright as possible. Man these things are so bright I might go ahead and hook up the other wire to have them run/turn.

These lights are really great, just wished the wires came a little longer.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You make a valid point: they sell a purpose-built product to bolt on in place of the support tube that requires electrical connection to the bike but provide wiring too short to function as intended--so what's up with that? It's not like this is some generic lighting product you are adapting to your application. They sell those lights as a product for your exact application and, assuming you installed them as they intend them to be installed, the wires should have been long enough to install without splices. If your installation varied from what they intended, that's a different situation.

Definitely call them and inquire/complain. Maybe their supplier cut the wires short and they'll help you out.

I've purchased and installed HD's tour pak spoiler/LED and saddlebag spoiler/LED kits, for example, and if the wiring harnesses supplied with those were short and needed splices to work I'd be angry. The harnesses were fine and worked as intended.

Good luck with your project. And break out the digital camera and post some pics.

Quick Reply: Auto-Gem Shotgun Lights *Warning*