Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Inspection Cover torx t-27 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Inspection Cover torx t-27 trouble

I was doing some routine maintenance on the bike this weekend, and the primary oil and chain adjustment were on the list. I drained the primary. Next was removing the passenger floorboard. Next the inspection cover. Well, this is where the trouble started. I put a t-27 bit on a driver and twisted the bit. Next I took a Lisle hardened bit and put it on the end of a 3/8 drive ratchet, and it snapped the head of the bit off. I was able to extract the bit. Is there an easy way to get these out?

I went to sears and bought an impact driver and a new set of bits, because they didn't have a single t-27 (of course). I was going to attempt this tonight, but I was hoping that someone might have some insight.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

the manual impact would be my suggestion, though i've never had issues with getting mine out, that should do the trick for ya.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Impact out, but ...

Here's a thread on just this topic.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...te-or-not.html

Do whatever you need to do to get them out, but there's quite a debate, about what to do going back in .. pick your poisen, good luck.

t

Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

the one time that i had trouble with the t27 bit, i ended up drilling the head of the bolt off, using a left handed bit. once i drilled the head off, and got the cover off, i was able to take the left over from the bolt out with my fingers.

ever since then, whenever i remove/replace those bits, i make sure that they have some anti seize on them and i torque them to spec. never had another problem.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies! I will try the impact driver first, and then take the heads off if there is still an issue.

After this, I will use anti seize for sure.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i know alot of guys replace with allen head bolts instead of the t-27s, so once you get this one out, you could always explore that option.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
jandt
Cruiser

I had same issue the first time I took them off. Put a dap of anti-sieze on em. No prob gettin them loose or vibrating loose as far as that goes.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Hamdog
Novice
Default Throw em' out!

Any torx screw I take out, I replace with a stainless, or better yet, chrome buttonhead cap screw. Stock torx are too soft. Inspection plate screws are in and out constantly - at least replace them.
I replaced mine with chrome. Nice and hard, they'll last forever, and they look good too.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
paguy
Road Captain

Went thru the same crap two weeks ago. I was stupid enough to empty my primary first, and with an 07 there is no inspection hole. Tore up two torq fittings and was pissed because the last change by dealer.
The dealer was kind enough to tow my bike to the shop, but that didn't make up for the over tightened screws.
This problem plus others caused by the dealer has started me looking for an indy mechanic or do the job myself.
Once you got the suckers out an inch torque wrench and tightening in proper sequence and you'll never have a problem.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamdog
Any torx screw I take out, I replace with a stainless, or better yet, chrome buttonhead cap screw. Stock torx are too soft. Inspection plate screws are in and out constantly - at least replace them.
I replaced mine with chrome. Nice and hard, they'll last forever, and they look good too.
I would not recommend using SS in a hot service application. SS likes to gall when it gets hot. Not at all fun removing a galled SS bolt. The stock torx bolts are harder than SS bolts.

Quick Reply: Primary Inspection Cover torx t-27 trouble