Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Inspection Cover torx t-27 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nocarb
I would not recommend using SS in a hot service application. SS likes to gall when it gets hot. Not at all fun removing a galled SS bolt. The stock torx bolts are harder than SS bolts.

ss will work fine but really need anti seize to stop the galling. Blue locktite will also work im told but the bolt threads need to be really covered good to prevent any issues.. Im kinda up in the air being from the hot rod crown and using tons of stainless on show cars with anti seize and then getting a Milwaukee vibrator that needs lock tite on everything.. Keeps me awake at night

Old 06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
missile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really wanting to change all my bolts out to SS but I am a little worried about the side effects. Since I just got through blacking out the motor I wont something I don't have to worry about corroding.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a soldiering iron and put the tip on the head for a few minutes before attempting to remove. It's the lock-tite that holds them back and the heat will let it free.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Hamdog
Novice
Default Thanks for the info.

Thanks. I will take appropriate precautions to prevent seizing.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 AM
SSN711
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nocarb
I would not recommend using SS in a hot service application. SS likes to gall when it gets hot. Not at all fun removing a galled SS bolt. The stock torx bolts are harder than SS bolts.

That's interesting. I've used SS allen or button head bolts for years on
my Harleys. Never had that problem. Guess I have been lucky....I do use the proper torque. I agree that anti-seize is a good idea though!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 AM
DougM
Tourer

I had the same problem getting mine out the first time. It stripped immediately. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming that the MoCo uses the same hardware for the stock application that they use for their chrome hardware so the tolerances are too much on the non-chrome stuff.

Anyway, I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the head and then used a chisel and hammer to back out the bolt. I replaced it with chrome hardware and blue Loctite. I haven't had any problems since.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

gently tapping the torx bit into the screw before attempting to remove is helpful in getting better contact.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I helped a buddy with his one time, what a mess it turned out to be, he ended up buying a new cover 3 of the bolts wouldn't come out.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Bikerdad61
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem here, I ended up taking a small chisel and tapping with a hammer at an angle on the head of the torx screw till It came loose then It come out with my fingers. Promptly replaced them all with allen head bolts. These Torx screws are PITA!!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
bloozeman2002
Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I tapped the screws with a hammer, and put a lot of pressure square on the screw and I was able to get them out. I did buy some allen screws to replace them. I do not want to go through this again.

Quick Reply: Primary Inspection Cover torx t-27 trouble