Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks ... I looked at the womens rain gear and it doesnt look as good as the mens...but can you really tell the difference by just looking? I am going to run up to HD tomorrow and do the feel test...if it feels good I dont care if its a guys rainsuit I'll buy it..I am not saying it wouldnt be nice if it were in pink but hey

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
GVTHNKS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been through three sets of gear.
1. Generic suit from I forget where. worked well, but leaked and looked like crap.
2. HD suit. Good quality, but took me 10 minutes to put on with the leg-zipper arrangement, and when stored took up half of one saddlebag.
3. Frogg toggs. Light weight, roll up small and come with a stuff sack and have reflective striping on them. Cost was about 40 bucks IIRC. They haven't burned through, and I wear them when on my RK as well as when Dual Sporting so they've stood up to mud and sludge as well as rain. I've heard of guys using an ironing board cover on the inner legs to protect from burns, but I've had mine for 9 months and haven't burned or melted anything. I didn't burn my other suits either so maybe it's just me.

For my money, the toggs are the best thing going.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 PM
MI_Jim
Cruiser

I bought a Frogg Toggs Road Toad suit a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to wear it for about 300 miles through alternating rain, mist & drizzle one day. The suit fit well and kept me very dry. There was no leakage anywhere. The leg zippers let me put the pants on over my boots fairly easily. It rolls up tight and comes with a stuff sack for storage.

The bad part is the suit does not take heat well at all. (I knew this when I bought it but the price fit my budget better than the HD suit I really liked.) I was very careful to keep my legs away from the pipes.....most of the time. It only took one lapse of attention to burn a hole in the right leg and deposit some black crap on the pipe. The suit is fixable and I plan to use it for the rest of this season. The black crud came off the pipe with a little elbow grease and some chrome polish.

I wouldn't recommend this suit for anything other than occaisional use. My advise is to save your money and buy one of the many other quality suits on the market. I wish I had!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

HD raingear here, mostly light gray with some orange. 150 or so.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
TheeDog
Novice

I have HD Gore-Tex rain suite. I raced sailboats in my twenty's and I certainly can vouch for the value of a good quality rain suite it allows you to work, stay dry. If I could have found another brand that I liked made with Gore-Tex I would have tried to save a couple of bucks. So I guess it's not HD that I recommend it's Gore-Tex that I do.

A trick to get your pants on quickly without taking off your boots is to put plastic grocery bags on your feet first and then slip them through your pant leg.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For about the price of the frog toggs i picked up a pair of Cordura (sp) nylon riding pants. they roll up small, have zippered legs with velcro closure, full pockets, velcro belt, go on and take off easilly. I already have a HD nylon riding jacket which makes a set but could be used with a leather jacket as well. These pants keep you dry, are comfortable and don't make you look like the Michelin Man when stepping off the bike. They are more durable than the basic rain suits (never owned HD pants but these seem to be the same quality as my jacket). I picked them up at a local riding store for around 60 bucks.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
chskyscraper
Advanced

Nelson-Rigg all the way

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I recently bought some rain gear from RedWoods HD , the exact model number escapes me right now.
But it is the model up from the small packable one , this one is packable, but is a bit larger than say a paperback novel LoL. It doesnt have the rubber seat , so you do slide around a bit, but has the heat sheilds on the lower area that is exposed to your exhaust pipes.
118.00 or so plus taxes

Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

[QUOTE=PacBlue_07;5137515]My wife has been wearing Nelson-Riggs rain gear. looks much like the harley set. cost 65 bucks. She has been very happy with them. Me i'm still occasionally putting on my frog toggs. Where we live in SE TX you dont have much time or many places to pull under to get your rain gear on, so i just leave it off and get wet normally we dry off in under an hour anyway!! LOL[/QUOTE

Nelson Rigg makes great rain gear. Six hours in a cold rain and no problems.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 AM
meintel
Cruiser

I rode about 120 miles yesterday in the rain over Monarch Pass in Colorado. it was about 40 degrees and the Frog Togg Road Toad kept me warm and dry.

Quick Reply: Rain gear