Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Stock Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2009 Stock Exhaust

I have a 2009 SG with about 1,000 miles on it. When I look at the exhausts from the rear, it appears (left exhaust is much darker than right) that the majority of the exhaust is being routed through the left muffler. Also, when I put my hand behind the exhausts, the exhaust from the left side feels stronger. The dealer says this is normal for the 09's. I'm thinking that performance wise, this probably isn't very efficient, otherwise why have two exhausts.

My questions are (1) is this normal for the 09's and (2) if I went with a product like the V&H Power Duals to replace the stock header pipes, would this balance the exhaust flow through both exhausts?

Appreciate any advice you guys have on this.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my question too, as I want to stay with the pipes routing the same as they do today, and I know V&H as Touring Duals which are two individual pipes utilizing the same routing as 09's. The PowerDuals (PD) may add some performance advantage though if that is important. Kuryakyn, also has Crusher Duals (CD) (integrated "power cell" which I believe is like a crossover), and Crusher True Duals which are like V&H's Touring Duals.

I want my exhaust in stereo, and if the PD's and CD's still push most of the exhaust into one pipe, like it is stock, the decision is much easier. (hence your comments on your post) True Duals may sacrifice a little torque, but I just like "Stereo Sound"!

Now I know all the 2 into 1 guys will chime in for the best performance advantage, you can't beat them, and I don't disagree, but that's just not for me with one pipe on one side of my dresser.

Last edited by beracing; 06-14-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

lots of info on here saying to stick with the the '09 headers. no advantage to true duals and perhaps a loss of bottom end power unless you are doing cams/more disp/higher comp....

Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
meintel
Cruiser

Which direction are you looking at the bike. If I am standing at the rear my right exhaust is the one that is flowing more.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:51 PM
texasbub
Advanced

Originally Posted by meintel
Which direction are you looking at the bike. If I am standing at the rear my right exhaust is the one that is flowing more.
Facing the rear fender. It is definitely the left exhaust on mine.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
texasbub
Advanced

Originally Posted by davewear
lots of info on here saying to stick with the the '09 headers. no advantage to true duals and perhaps a loss of bottom end power unless you are doing cams/more disp/higher comp....

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on any upgrades to the engine. Sounds like a set of slip ons will be the way to go for me.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

Is the EITMS turned on?
EITMS = Engine Idle Temperature Management System
This system shuts the rear cylinder when idling.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

the information i have attained is this, looking at the rear of the bike, the left pipe is darker due to lower temperatures, therefore not burning as hot or the exhaust not as hot when exiting the left pipe. it is normal and makes no difference if the heat management system is on or not. Also by design of the exhaust system, the majority of the exhaust will be exiting the right pipe, less bends in the pipes. hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
meintel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rubbit
the information i have attained is this, looking at the rear of the bike, the left pipe is darker due to lower temperatures, therefore not burning as hot or the exhaust not as hot when exiting the left pipe. it is normal and makes no difference if the heat management system is on or not. Also by design of the exhaust system, the majority of the exhaust will be exiting the right pipe, less bends in the pipes. hope this helps.
Well said that was what I was getting at

Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davewear
There a quite a few too that say adding TD's is the best thing they've done! Many say it adds in additional cooling, and better mileage, with an arguable position on torque loss. I guess it just depends on the person and if you're looking for the "stereo" sound out back.

Quick Reply: 2009 Stock Exhaust