Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis riders - route needed - Before the Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Sturgis riders - route needed - Before the Rally

Second week in July we are headed through the southern part or WY into NE then north up (71 or 385) to Rapid City / Sturgis Area's then continue north up 85...

for those riders familiar with this area - what roads would you take through the area and what is a MUST see/ride. As long as weather holds, we plan to spend an extra day in this area. Thanks for your imput and advice

Last edited by harley0711; 06-13-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Every road that's tarred in the Black Hills is a "Must See" Ride. By the time you get within 200 miles of Sturgis every gas station will have tear off maps (free) of the Black Hills.

Two that are always great....Spearfish Canyon Ride (be sure and stop and walk back into the waterfalls and go wading in 34 degree water) and the Iron Mountain Road, where you will go around corkscrew wooden bridges, and see Mt Rushmore framed in the exit of a tunnel. If you don't see it, turn around and ride it the other way!

The Badlands is also a must see ride. It is east of Rapid City, by Wall, SD, which in itself is a "must see," home of Wall Drug.

Take the "Wyoming Loop." Go west out of Sturgis to Sundance Wyoming, turn south to Newcastle, and then go east. You will come into the Black Hills in the Mt. Rushmore area. Absolutely gorgeous scenery.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

P.s. Plan on more than one "extra" day. If you've not been there before, there is lots to see. Check out Custer State Park and the burros and buffalo, Hot Springs, and the Mammoth Site. Be sure and stop at the Cosmos, where gravity is all f**ked up. Reptile Gardens will freak out anyone with a fear of snakes, and Bear Country will fascinate all. Several caves in the area, including Wind Cave National Park. Be sure and stop at Devils Tower, in Wyoming. You can spend several hours there walking around it.

All are on great scenic roads, except the straight shot down to Hot Springs from Rapid City.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

thanks guys - this is exactly what I am looking for... Wanted to do this in April when I did a Coast to Coast - wanted to turn NW in Memphis (last week in April) but mother nature was not willing - July should be better ??

Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Hot days, cool nights in July and August. Watch out for sudden thunderstorms that pop up from behind the mountains. Ask any Sturgis rider about the '02 hail storm, or the mudslide in Deadwood that wiped out a whole parking lot of bikes !

Crazy Horse Mountain is another one to see. You can now see it from the highway south of it, but it's worth (imo) to pay the fee and go in and see the museum.

The white spots you see in this picture are hail stones.

Attached Thumbnails Sturgis riders - route needed - Before the Rally-sturgis-hailstorm.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 06-13-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM
nocages4me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must see's in my opinion....
Rushmore
Crazyhorse
Badlands
Pig Tails
Devils Tower
Custer area (Generally can find the Buffalo herds down there)
And +1 on the any paved road part.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nocages4me
Must see's in my opinion....
Rushmore
Crazyhorse
Badlands
Pig Tails
Devils Tower
Custer area (Generally can find the Buffalo herds down there)
And +1 on the any paved road part.

Pig Tails ??????????????????

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMMCF

Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley0711
Second week in July we are headed through the southern part or WY into NE then north up (71 or 385) to Rapid City / Sturgis Area's then continue north up 85...

for those riders familiar with this area - what roads would you take through the area and what is a MUST see/ride. As long as weather holds, we plan to spend an extra day in this area. Thanks for your imput and advice
Harley0711,Assuming you're coming up from Cal.,just got back from you're neck of the woods. I'd stay off of I80 accross Wy.Starting from SLC Ut. I'd go north I-15 to Idaho Falls Id.230 mi.
Id. Falls to Jackson Hole,Wy-100mi
North thru the Tetons-s.ent. to Yellowstone out the east ent. to Cody,Wy-176mi.-
must see(Cody Museum)
Cody to Red Lodge Mt.-63 mi.(Chief Joseph Highway,Bear Tooth Pass)must see
Red Lodge to Billings,Mt.-61mi.
Billings-Sheridan,Wy-130mi.(Little Big Horn Natl Mount.)must see Sheridan-Sundance 165mi.(Devils Tower)must see
Sundance-Sturgis 51mi.
Beautiful ride,not much interstate,lots of must sees,about 300 mi more than the direct route but well worth it.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iron Mountain Road
Needles Highway
Mt. Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Spearfish Canyon
Vanocker Canyon
Sturgis to Deadwood
"Wyoming Loop" & Devils Tower
Badlands

Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D2R
Harley0711,Assuming you're coming up from Cal.,just got back from you're neck of the woods. I'd stay off of I80 accross Wy.Starting from SLC Ut. I'd go north I-15 to Idaho Falls Id.230 mi.
Id. Falls to Jackson Hole,Wy-100mi
North thru the Tetons-s.ent. to Yellowstone out the east ent. to Cody,Wy-176mi.-
must see(Cody Museum)
Cody to Red Lodge Mt.-63 mi.(Chief Joseph Highway,Bear Tooth Pass)must see
Red Lodge to Billings,Mt.-61mi.
Billings-Sheridan,Wy-130mi.(Little Big Horn Natl Mount.)must see Sheridan-Sundance 165mi.(Devils Tower)must see
Sundance-Sturgis 51mi.
Beautiful ride,not much interstate,lots of must sees,about 300 mi more than the direct route but well worth it.

Did pretty much that ride last Sept... entered Yellowstone from the west, up over Beartooth then south to Casper - Cheyenne - Rawlins - Teton - Jackson - then south back home... This time mainly heading to catch the corner of NE and up to the Dekato's - cross Montana and back south to SL and home.
Lots of nice color last Sept on that run 'Hint' watch your speed in Yellowstone - ask me how I know this, lol

Quick Reply: Sturgis riders - route needed - Before the Rally