Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a seat replacement on my Ultra....any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at a seat replacement on my Ultra....any advice?

Hey everyone,

I have an '09 Ultra that I am planning on taking to Sturgis this year. It is just over 1400 miles each way and the OEM seat is very uncomfortable for me after 200 or so miles a day. Last weekend I did a small 700 mile weekend trip and I was almost ready to beg to get off of it by the time I got home. On my dyna I have a Mustang solo seat that so far has been pretty nice although I haven't taken it on any longer trips yet. I am thinking about possibly trying the regal touring seat for my ultra since it is compatible with the factory backrest and I like my existing seat. Ultimately I would like to send the original seat off for a Russell day long seat but I don't have that kind of time to get it done between now and Sturgis. Is there anything else I should look at prior to purchasing the Mustang or any other options that I should consider? I know I'll get suggestions for Mean City Cycles seat mod. also but I am probably looking for a drop in style replacement seat. I am 6' tall and 250lbs if that makes any difference in what you would suggest. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
...Is there anything else I should look at prior to purchasing the Mustang or any other options that I should consider?
I have a Mustang on my '08 Ultra. While it's much better then the stock seat, it is a bit too flat across the seat bottom for me. I can ride two or three hours without much issue but rides totaling 500 or 600 miles a day can be a bit uncomfortable on this seat.

I have not seen the new HD Hammock seat but you might want to find one.

As for the Russell seats, I've had two of them on other touring bikes and they worked well. Unless you can do the one day ride in, it can take some time to get one fitted properly.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Im also 6' 225lbs ....And LOVE my sundowner!!!! No 2 a$$es are the same ;-)

Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Mustang Regal on my '08 Road Glide and am very pleased with it. But I also liked the stock Ultra seat that I had on it a while ago. One thing I have noticed is that it takes a day or so to get my butt acclimated to longer distances - the first day on a week long tour is uncomfortable; after that I am good for 600 miles or so each day if I'm covering distance. Perhaps you will be more comfortable when you get to spend more time in the saddle.

bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seats are like mattresses. Some like 'em soft and cushy, others prefer firm. I'm in the firm category myself, a soft seat feels good for a few hours, but then bottoms out. Which is why I choose Corbin. Some say they are too hard, but they break in after a while, and your **** will know the difference after a 12 hour day.

InDenial
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have the Mustang Ultra touring for my SERG and really love it. Had one for 5 yrs on my old RG also. After 400 miles, any seat will hurt. Get an Airhawk Medium pillow and you'll be set for anything over 400miles.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At some point I will have the seat on my 09 Ultra rebuilt by http://www.meancitycycles.com/motorc...ifications.php

As another post stated everyone is different. Mean City offers many different options without changing the look of your seat unless you want a custom cover.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:00 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the HD Sundowner, its better than stock, but not the answer. At 250 and 6 foot, the one pcs Mustang will not work, it will push up too forward. You are going to have to go for the 2 pcs which comes with the Mustang back rest and a price tag of about 700. I guess thats why I have the Sundowner.
Best advise I can give you is to buy the 2 pcs Mustang, than sell off your HD backrest and possible your stock saddle to re-gain some $$$
Be Safe JIM

Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless of which seat you settle on, try what I've been doing lately.
Take the pain killer before you get sore.
I take one either in the morning before I leave, or mid morning on the road.
Huge difference in comfort.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 AM
wolfshead1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corbin,best seat,worst customer service!

Quick Reply: Looking at a seat replacement on my Ultra....any advice?