Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley HK amp install on 06 Streetglide help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
tslonige
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Harley HK amp install on 06 Streetglide help needed

Someone gave me a Harmon Kardon amp #76192-06a. I want to install it in an 06 Streetglide with 2 front Hogtunes speakers and the Hogtunes tweeters. Is this plug and play or is there something special I will have to do to make it work? Does it simply plug into the radio plug on the frear of the stock HK head? Thanks for the input / advice.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

anyone

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM
americanthunder
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this may be for running rear speakers on like ultra models but I am anxious to hear if it will amplify the front 2 speakers on street glide models!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one of these a couple years back so I don't remember it all. But I do recall that I bought a new harness (that wasn't needed for an ULTRA).

Power from battery direct to amp that is mounted under tour-pac. Harness ran to both front and rear speakers. the old speaker wires plug into the harness, and the new wires plug into the speakers. Sort of like it takes the current speaker "power" and then runs it through the amp, sending it back with increased power. Sounds like I'm a stereo expert Huh? But that's my story.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

Ok so will it amplify just the front speakers? Also are there any changes to the HK stereo that need to be made? Any more comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Man, you need to spend more time in the HD Parts & Accessories catalog or on their website looking at the audio products. Presumably you have the Advanced Audio High Output Sound System, PN 76418-06A (shoot, the amp may even have that part number on it somewhere) shown at page 475 which says the amp is for 2 and 4 speaker systems and requires a wiring harness, PN 70169-06.

Granted, looking at the P&A catalog or website isn't as interesting as waiting for replies here (and reading all of the other informative threads on HDF), but they are ususally pretty good sources of information. Also, stop by an HD store and ask them for the installation instructions that come with the amp kit referenced above; chances are they'll print it out for you free of charge and you can order the harness you need while you're there.

Good luck with your project. Hope you get all the information you need.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

Thank you. I have looked on HD and in the catalog gaining no real information. I have also googled the part numbers with no real information as to the fitment of what I have. I do have a wiring harness #70179-06 which says it is a lower amplifier wiring harness. I was hoping someone might recognize these parts and have some guidance as to whether these would work with the stock HK head, 2 Hogtunes speakers and the Hogtunes tweeters. I have not spoken to the dealer, which will be my next step. Thank all of for the help.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My apology for not remembering you had the amp part no. in your original post.

While you are at the HD store, ask to see the '06 Touring Parts Manual/Catalog so you can check to see if you have all of the parts for installing the amp under the tour pak on your bike. And your HD Service Manual for 2006 Touring Models should explain how to install it.

Good luck with your project.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser

I had an amp kit bought on the cheap with the harness . I bought a tour pack and figured to mount it on quick disconnect bracket.
First it doesn't work with quick disconnect bracket so sold it and went with pez ultasound kit.
In this I got the rear speaker harness pods for the tour pack and a set of hogtune upgrade speakers.
So do you have a tour pack now? if not where or how will you mount it?

Leroy

Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
jbrelr21
Cruiser

I just put a tour pack and amp and rear speakers on a 09 road glide, had to take it to dlr to have radio "flashed" before the speakers would work. The accessory harness was capable of running intercom and side car speakers and who knows what else so alot of it went unused. The interconnect plug had 4 wires on one side and 6 on the other, you have to connect the missing 2 wires that come on the accessory harness into the plug side that has only 4 wires into terminals 4 & 5.

Last edited by jbrelr21; 12-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley HK amp install on 06 Streetglide help needed