Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure For 'Mushroom Head"... or,

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:56 AM
aces_and_eights
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
Drove an hour and a half to try one on and it wasn't any better on my fat head than other DOT half helmets. I was very disappointed.
But I did get a nice ride in!
+1 The wife and I rode from North Central Ohio to Waterford MI (around 180 miles) to check 'em out last Thursday. Didn't seem much smaller the the ones we already have and the construction didn't seem that great.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:02 AM
LUBA
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aces_and_eights
+1 The wife and I rode from North Central Ohio to Waterford MI (around 180 miles) to check 'em out last Thursday. Didn't seem much smaller the the ones we already have and the construction didn't seem that great.
Who has them in waterford?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by LUBA
Who has them in waterford?
Yah, who has em in Waterford?
Jerry

Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks for all of the replies

I appreciate all of the responses---

and, yes, I know the topic has been dragged around before, but so what? Info is changing all the time, so just reading what someone else said 6 months ago may no longer be current

yeah, I know all about 'If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet...', which is funny but stupid.

followed that theory on my rice burners back in the 80's, and was miserable with my $300 full face helmet. (sweating, fogged up shield, limited vis)..

D.O.T. cert helmets MAY BE safer than non-DOT... may be not...

when I took the MSF class a few years back, the instructor told us ( I assume he knew what he was talking about) that DOT cert was a ridiculously low requirement..

I've read that over half of all helmets that were labeled DOT by the manufacturer, and were tested, actually failed the DOT testing-- this is understandable since the standard is imposed on the honor system... so those of you who are confident in your DOT helmets, may be in for a surprise if your helmet is put to the test---

gotta say though that it a great feeling to ride without a helmet while in other states, and yes, I do ride w/o a helmet on rare occasion (never on a freeway)

my wife, who is way smarter than me, always wears her lid

anyway, I respect the right of each to chose-- but those who choose DOT are probably better advised to get Snell cert--- IMHO

Old 06-13-2009, 02:42 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

ACC carbon fiber helmets are my solution to the mushroom head stigma. You get a 15% discount if you tell them you are a member of the forum as well. Helmets are subjective as everyone's head is different. Whatever helmet you choose, enjoy.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

I got a G-max with the cool max liner...vented...I didn't like the Carcon fiber one either....Not worth spending// $200.00 My $.02 WORTH ANYWAY i have seen and talked to many thet love them...they look great.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM
khyber
Road Captain

Originally Posted by _Flea_
When I try to get rid of my mushroom head, I just hide it in my wife.
Dude, yer killin' me

Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a big head (7 3/4) so a half shell DOT looks fine on me as far as I'm concerned. I think the non-DOT novelty helmets look too small...

What changed my mind ultimately about a DOT lid is that there is a minimum foam thickness which is 1" if I'm not mistaken, then any liner foam or cloth, etc.

The novelty helmets are the fiberglass shell only, and then any fabric liner for sweat, looks, etc. No protective foam to help in case you need it.

That and I'm in a helmet required state and don't want to give the local authorities any reason to pull me over.

I've looked at these Carbon Fiber helmets and they are nice, but I don't own one.

Take care,
Dave

Old 06-13-2009, 04:08 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

I originally ordered the DOT version from ACC and hated it. There is no soft lining. Exposed foam and a couple of useless shims that velcro in to help fit. It Hurt to wear it. I Still had the mushroom head appearance. ACC was kind enough to let me exchange it for the ACC non DOT approved. I love it. It has a 1/2 foam inner lining. Comfy. The same puncture rating as the DOT version. Does that mean I am safe? Heck I have no clue. No more mushroom head.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
bradja
Cruiser
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the info. My wife bought me an ACC DOT for Christmas in preparation for first Harley in the Spring. Same here, I didn't like it and returned it. When I got my 09 RK late March I got a white Shoei St. Cruz. Looks like a cop helmet. But for weeks now I've been riding with just a bandanna. Feels real good, but thought I might like the ACC non-dot.

Quick Reply: Cure For 'Mushroom Head"... or,