Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes Install Time on 09 FLHRC

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
gblass1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apes Install Time on 09 FLHRC

I got a set of WO572 14" apes for my 09 Road King. I also got the install kit from Johnny Vaughn that has a new clutch cable, electronic throttle extension, extended abs brake line and switch extension kit.

I was planning on doing the install myself but I'm leaving in a week for Tail of The Dragon in NC so I'm running out of time. I checked with my dealer and they quoted 4-5 hours to do the job. Does this sound reasonable ? I really wanted to do it myself but I'm so busy at work I don't think I'll get it done.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
FYRDOC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say reasonable.......mine is an 07, not sure what the difference in difficulty is with the TBW and stuff, but that's probably about a going labor quote. Can they probably do it in less time????? Yes, but that's probably a standard hourly quote.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
gblass1
Advanced

That's what I thought. The throttle is plug and play should take about 30 seconds. The rest is pretty straight forward, clutch cable, switch wire extensions, and the new ABS brake line.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Pops-A-Cop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way your going to do it in 4-5 hours. I have a hard time believing the dealer quoted you that. To do it right, you should solder and heat shrink the wires. I got my wild one 16 inch apes and my extension kit from JV. The throttle extension failed and threw codes, ended up getting the extended TBW assembly from HD and all was good. I hear that there is a serious possibility of an on road failure of the TBW if you extend those wires. Just sayin.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Yes sir... let the dealership do it, or a mechanic who has a bunch of experience in this area. My wrench has been working on HD's for 40 years, and in his words 'it was a bitch!'. It took him a bunch of hours due to the wiring challenges, and I walked in on him dealing with a bunch of cables that looked like the end of a mop! Good luck, and I am looking forward to getting to the dragon myself...

Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
gblass1
Advanced

That throttle extension failing ain't got me feeling good. I'm going to check with the dealer and see if they have the HD extension. Just curious do you know why the one you got from JV failed ? The one I have on order looks like just an extension of the wires with a plug on each end.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't extend mine, but I did cut and solder my TBW when I swapped bars last year and haven't had any problems. I'd talk to JV and see what he has to say. many on here have done this with no problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I didn't extend mine, but I did cut and solder my TBW when I swapped bars last year and haven't had any problems. I'd talk to JV and see what he has to say. many on here have done this with no problems.

I did the same, even extended the wires... no issues!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

I just did mine and it took 5 hours without doing any cable ext, clutch or brake lines.
I did put the wires inside the bars.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Pops-A-Cop
Intermediate

My tech pulled out a bulleten and showed it to me about extending those TBW wires. Had something to do with the added length of wire causing problems with the resistance and the sensor itself. I guess some guy died so now there is a big tadoo about it. Just telling you what he told me, don't shoot the messenger. My cruise light kept flashing after I extended those wires and put it all back together, it finally went into limp mode. We pulled the codes and it was the TBW failing. Did I cause this? Don't know but my life is worth more than $80 and the longer one from Harley eliminates the green connector. Do what you wish fellas, I am just telling you what happened to me. As far as extending the switch wires, JV's kit was fine and the cables fit great.

Daryl

Quick Reply: Apes Install Time on 09 FLHRC