Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you ever try to powder coat somthing ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM
HilllBillly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever try to powder coat somthing ?

i've heard about being able to do powdercoating at home with an old oven - how did it turn out?

i have a small piece i'm looking to do about the size of cell phone and I have an old oven to use.... how much would it cost to have someone powder coat just 1 small piece or will it look good by me doing it at home?

any advice?

(its a piece up on the dash area so it will be very noticeable)

Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Errk08
Tourer

My dad does powder coating its alot of work to set up for a little piece so its probably goin to cost a few bucks to have somthing that small done unless somone is already doin the color you want. You can get sample powder from ppg i do believe its like a pound. Good luck haha

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago I knew guys that would do this at home, but the products weren't that great and the pieces were not critical to aesthetics, foot peg brackets, muffler mounts, etc., nothing that would be noticeable. They used it as an alternative to just painting black using a spray bomb. If it is going to be out and noticeable, I recommend a commercial house.
Just my

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother and I have done this exact thing for years using some equipment from Eastwood (http://www.eastwood.com/). The quality has varied depending on what the part was, the condition of the part, and the prep. It needs to be cleaned well and you need to take your time to do it right if you care how it turns out. It's hard to control the thickness of the final product, so keep that in mind if something is a tight or snug fit, it may need to be filed/sanded/ground.
Also, you should use an electric oven, not a gas one. Something I read long ago said don't do it, i don't think it could be that the powder is the issue, (IE, flammable) so much as the gas flames can disturb the powder during the cure (or melt). The best part is, if you mess up, just remove the powder coat and start again.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

Similiar to re-finishing a gun. An old oven is really all you need. You just have to spend extra time on the prep.