Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an E/G...need some advise.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
beaudarvil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy an E/G...need some advise.

Gents,

I'm looking to buy my first HD after about 20 years of riding bikes built by our friends in the far east. I'm looking for an Electra Glide Classic and have found many for sale in my price range (10k to 13k) but with mileage ranging from 8,000 to 88,000 miles.

My question is at what point should the mileage begin to worry me a little?

For instance, I can save a some bucks by buying a bike with 30+ thousand miles on it but should I pay the premium it takes to get a ride with less than 10 thousand on it?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer and I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an older bike with 18K and have had no problems other than maintenance items and eventually will have to do cam tensioners. I was in your price range also. Bike had everything done to it that I possibly wanted, so I say the premium for newer less equipped is not worth it.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There is still a lot of miles left on a bike with 88K on it if it has been properly maintained. I would say how the bike was taken care of is more important that how many miles. 30,000 or less shouldn't be a problem at all but I have seen bikes with 30K that were poorly maintained and I would not consider them. Then I have seen bikes with 100K that looked and ran great.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

I think it will come down to how comfortable you feel about the condition of the bike and how well it was maintained. Probably most important will be which bike to you LIKE the most.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

This is a very good question - I live in Northern CA - a very good friend (Retired LEO) and his son both both EG back in 03 - now they have got new EG's and have thier other pair up for sale - both have about 75K on them and this does scare a few buyers (BTW $9,000 each) Anyway - I have known this guy for over a year now and have learned How he takes care of his (and sons) bike - He is super **** about service and keeping his bike in tip top shape - THATS the trick - finding someone who cares about thier bikes and have taken proper care over those miles....

So, if you do NOT know the person - my suggestion would be to first work the $$$ deal WITH the stiulation that YOU PAY YOUR local HD shop on hour of labor to check the bike over - if the mech gives their blessing - you have your bike - if NOT then the deal is dead and NO $$$$ is exchanged - Yes you are out the $$$ for the hour of labor - but you would only do this is you were fairly certin of the outcome and that $$$ of labor is cheap insurance - of course anything can happen the next day - but its a good indicator...

A bike with 75K on it and its been cared for is better than a bike with 10K and had the hell beat out of it - I am not trained to really tell the difference - esp in someones garage or in a parking lot??????

One other thing to look at - check the local dealer - has all service been done? has bike been in the shop for any reason ??

also - ext warranty - any time left??? My bike 5 years old and has 30K on it BUT it still has two years on the warranty --- Mine is NOT for sale - just making a point....

Last edited by harley0711; 06-10-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

I would say if you're looking for a deal on a used bike, be patient. You can often find some amazing deals if you are patient and watch the local ads, craigslist, ebay and the like diligently.

I wanted something newer and had figured I would have to pay over 20K for an Ultra that was 08 or 09. I kept watching and found an 08 with only 2433 miles on it for just over $18 and was happy with the deal.

As others have said, maintenance records with receipts is key. Make SURE all the scheduled stuff has been done and if it's a twin cam with over 20K miles, make SURE it has had the cam chain tensioners done or been converted to geared cams.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

What ever you do, don't be in a rush - there are always scammers out there.. You may be at someone's house looking at the bike... the phone rings and its another buyer offering a cash deal over the phone - DON"T get rushed... its a true sign that its not for real.... How do I know this... I do believe it was pulled on me - while looking at some bike parts for sale,,, phone rang - I only heard this side of the call.... seller hung up, said it was a cash buyer and he told them if I did not want the deal to call him back and he would be right over with the cash.... I passed - got a call two days later, parts were still for sale... I again passed - something just did not feel right...

Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
beaudarvil
Intermediate

Thanks for all the wisdom. I look forward to reading through this forum as it looks like there is a ton of stuff to learn here.

Keep the info coming...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Just to put my .02 in my bike I bought is an 02 eg and I bought it with 74k miles on it from the original owner who rode daily. I ended up rebuilding the whole bike because I wanted too. The bike runs excellant though. The main thing with the higher mileage bikes is 1. to make sure they run good 2. check all the components...example: my bike I replaced all the suspension-brakes-steering-wiring-gauges..things that are imprortant like the brakes if it needs attention it will cost allot so just make sure you check over things real well but as far as the mileage with the engine mine runs great so I would not have a problem buying another one with similar mileage.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

The number on the odometer is not as important as the care and maintenance the bike has received AND the additions and mods it has relative to what you would be putting on anyway.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an E/G...need some advise.