Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shocks....GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:34 AM
hawg03
|
Road Captain
Default Ohlin Shocks....GREAT!

I put on a set of Progressive 440s on my bagger since I had them on my previous bikes. No matter how I adjusted them, the ride was not smooth. When I hit the big bumps, it tossed me an 1" off my seat. The little bumps were jarring. I then read up on the forum posts about Ohlins and a guy named Howard from Motorcycle Metal. After conversing with this very suspension knowledgeable person, I thought I would try out these Ohlins. Howard told me I had to wait for the shocks since they had to be made. No problem. Within a few weeks, they were at my doorstep. It wasn't cheap, but when I received it, the quality and workmanship was excellent. To me it was worth every penny. I must also add that during the wait period, Howard would update me on the progress via email. After I received the shocks, he also called as a follow up to make sure everything was ok and to answer any questions. Install was easy and adjustments a piece of cake. The bumps are still there, yet now I get a smoother, comfortable and more controlled ride. If you are looking for a very good pair of shocks, I would highly recommend you call Howard and go from there. His customer service is excellent and his shocks are #1!!! (My .02).

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:58 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hawg03
I put on a set of Progressive 440s on my bagger since I had them on my previous bikes. No matter how I adjusted them, the ride was not smooth. When I hit the big bumps, it tossed me an 1" off my seat. The little bumps were jarring. I then read up on the forum posts about Ohlins and a guy named Howard from Motorcycle Metal. After conversing with this very suspension knowledgeable person, I thought I would try out these Ohlins. Howard told me I had to wait for the shocks since they had to be made. No problem. Within a few weeks, they were at my doorstep. It wasn't cheap, but when I received it, the quality and workmanship was excellent. To me it was worth every penny. I must also add that during the wait period, Howard would update me on the progress via email. After I received the shocks, he also called as a follow up to make sure everything was ok and to answer any questions. Install was easy and adjustments a piece of cake. The bumps are still there, yet now I get a smoother, comfortable and more controlled ride. If you are looking for a very good pair of shocks, I would highly recommend you call Howard and go from there. His customer service is excellent and his shocks are #1!!! (My .02).
I head good things about Ohlins, so how much did they cost and what model number did you order. I looked into these at one time but they didn't have any for FLH bikes. I have the 440's and don't have the same results that you did, and I'm experiencing a very supple ride. I suspect that you may have had the heavy-duty springs and weren't loading them enough, or you had too much preload. With 3½-turns of preload I have a very good ride with these shocks.

Old 06-09-2009 | 12:03 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

My 440's are very stiff,have not looked into it yet as to why.

Old 06-09-2009 | 12:09 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Yep, his customer service is top notch.

My only question is, are the shocks adjustable?

From what I read, the shocks are made for your weight, what happens when you have a passenger on board??

Old 06-09-2009 | 03:07 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default Ohlins shocks

The shocks are valved and sprung for your weight and riding style. The have 2 spanner nuts and the come with the spanner wrenches to adjust as necessary. You HAVE to adjust the sag when you get them. Once you adjust the sag (amount of sag is determined with your usual weight in the bags, boots, helmet, etc. sitting on the bike), you will be very happy with the ride. I rode my bike for a couple days without setting the sag and it was already better than the progressives that I had on the bike. I was pleasantly surprised with how the bike handles and just the ride quality. Howard is good about making sure you were happy with the product. I HIGHLY recommend the Ohlins. Make sure you tell him that you are a HDForums member, you get a pretty nice discount.

Old 06-09-2009 | 03:48 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

Lang did you go with 12" or 13" shocks? Do you still scrape the floorboards? I sort of ride hard at times and the stock SG shocks just are not cutting it. I need to do something before the board falls off under me.

Old 06-09-2009 | 04:03 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default ohlins

Originally Posted by MassHD
Lang did you go with 12" or 13" shocks? Do you still scrape the floorboards? I sort of ride hard at times and the stock SG shocks just are not cutting it. I need to do something before the board falls off under me.
I went with the 12", Howard tried talking me into the 13", but I still wanted to touch flat footed. I would guess that the 13" would be even better, but I am very happy with the 12". I still scrape a little, but I put a set of Arlen Ness's 2" forward brackets on, which have better clearance than the stock ones. I also put the 1" extensions from Harley Goodies too. W/O the 1" ext, I don't think it would scrape at all. here's a couple pics of the brackets-

Old 06-09-2009 | 05:57 PM
casique
Road Warrior

How about a picture of the Ohlins? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been waiting to hear some feedback on the Ohlins. I expected they would be very good.

As has been mentioned already... I tried 440's too, and the were horrible. I finally went with Penskes from Howard and they are great, as is his service & support.

If you're interested in suspension upgrades.... he knows suspension!

When I went to the Penskes, I immediately noticed that the front suspension on my 05 was glaringly poor too. I ended up converting it to the 06 style (no more cartridge) and went with RaceTech Gold Emulators & strings.... GOOD Stuff!

Old 06-09-2009 | 07:40 PM
rkadair
Tourer

which Ohlin shocks did you get #1,#2 or #3
I'm looking to get new shocks soon too

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shocks....GREAT!