Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shocks....GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009 | 07:48 PM
shekmark
Road Master

I got the 13 inch ( actually 13.3) from Howard. Awesome. Can't scrap the flootbaords when I try. I am 31 in seam and I'm flatfooted with my riding boots on. I don't know how to adjust them and have not tried because I like the ride. If it can be even better I would love advice on how to adjust. I never did ask Howard that question.

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:50 PM
CDP1911
Intermediate

does anyone know the diff between the Ohlins and the Penske's?

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:23 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Thumbs up Ohlins

Originally Posted by PhilM
I've been waiting to hear some feedback on the Ohlins. I expected they would be very good.

As has been mentioned already... I tried 440's too, and the were horrible. I finally went with Penskes from Howard and they are great, as is his service & support.

If you're interested in suspension upgrades.... he knows suspension!

When I went to the Penskes, I immediately noticed that the front suspension on my 05 was glaringly poor too. I ended up converting it to the 06 style (no more cartridge) and went with RaceTech Gold Emulators & strings.... GOOD Stuff!
The penskes are suppose to be real good but almost twice as much as the ohlins. Howard sells them both. I did the Race-tech kit and heavier oil w. progressive springs and it still sucks. I am getting ready to do either the Ohlins cartridge kit from howard or the Traxxion Dynamics kit for the front. I have some good feed back from guys who did the traxxion kit, but haven't heard anything on Howards kit yet. It's a little pricey but I hate the forks on these bikes.

Old 06-09-2009 | 11:25 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default shocks

Originally Posted by CDP1911
does anyone know the diff between the Ohlins and the Penske's?
about $500.00.........

Old 06-10-2009 | 12:09 AM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default sag

Originally Posted by shekmark
I got the 13 inch ( actually 13.3) from Howard. Awesome. Can't scrap the flootbaords when I try. I am 31 in seam and I'm flatfooted with my riding boots on. I don't know how to adjust them and have not tried because I like the ride. If it can be even better I would love advice on how to adjust. I never did ask Howard that question.
Pick a spot that you can measure vertically to get a starting point for bike with no weight on it. I used the top shock bolt, to the ground. Jack your bike up till the wheels are barely touching the ground and measure from your point(top shock bolt), to the ground. Then take the jack away and measure again. The "free sag (measurement w/o you on it), should be somewhere around 5-10mm (1/2" will be around 12mm), then have someone measure the bike with you sitting on it with normal riding gear on. The sag (difference in measurement from bike on jack) should be around- 25-35mm (1- 1 1/4"). If you don't have at least 1" of ride sag, you are missing out on a better ride than you have. To adjust the sag, break loose the 2- spanner nuts and turn spring counter clockwise (from top), making sure that the bottom spanner nut is turning with the spring, until you get at least 1" and up to 1-1/4". Hope that helps. **make sure that you lock down the spanner nuts together, once you get the sag set. It makes alot of difference, take the time and do it, trust me....

Old 06-10-2009 | 03:18 PM
shekmark
Road Master

Thanks for that info.

Old 06-10-2009 | 03:30 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by langhammx
Pick a spot that you can measure vertically to get a starting point for bike with no weight on it. I used the top shock bolt, to the ground. Jack your bike up till the wheels are barely touching the ground and measure from your point(top shock bolt), to the ground. Then take the jack away and measure again. The "free sag (measurement w/o you on it), should be somewhere around 5-10mm (1/2" will be around 12mm), then have someone measure the bike with you sitting on it with normal riding gear on. The sag (difference in measurement from bike on jack) should be around- 25-35mm (1- 1 1/4"). If you don't have at least 1" of ride sag, you are missing out on a better ride than you have. To adjust the sag, break loose the 2- spanner nuts and turn spring counter clockwise (from top), making sure that the bottom spanner nut is turning with the spring, until you get at least 1" and up to 1-1/4". Hope that helps. **make sure that you lock down the spanner nuts together, once you get the sag set. It makes alot of difference, take the time and do it, trust me....
if you have ever been serious about motorcross bikes....you understand this process. setting shock sag is real important to a dirt bike rider!

I am trying to decide penske or ohlins....this read might have made my mind up for me.

Old 06-10-2009 | 04:00 PM
langhammx
Road Captain
Default Ohlins and dirt bikes

Originally Posted by soon to be
if you have ever been serious about motorcross bikes....you understand this process. setting shock sag is real important to a dirt bike rider!

I am trying to decide penske or ohlins....this read might have made my mind up for me.
You nailed that one on the head...

The ride on a harley, is just as important with a good shock (NOT air shocks, which are junk IMO), to get the proper sag set. I am real happy with my Ohlins, I don't think it's worth another $500.00 for a set od Penskes, although I have never had a pair.

Old 06-10-2009 | 06:26 PM
soon to be
Road Captain

Originally Posted by langhammx
You nailed that one on the head...

The ride on a harley, is just as important with a good shock (NOT air shocks, which are junk IMO), to get the proper sag set. I am real happy with my Ohlins, I don't think it's worth another $500.00 for a set od Penskes, although I have never had a pair.
langhammx....I like the pictures....are they you????

being from the east coast, i always liked my days on a desert track!!!!

oop's....do not tell anyone you are riding a metric.........

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:04 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Answering Questions

>>> HDV-GLIDE From what I read, the shocks are made for your weight, what happens when you have a passenger on board?
<<< Steve, it is all according what passenger. If your wife is around 150 Lbs or less then there is no difference for around town or shorter trips (under 300 mi.) If you are going to load up the kitchen sink and ride a trip than it is advisable to take the time and readjust the spring preload. Simulate the load and have your passenger get on. Adjust on the same road that is an average road and not a bomb crater that you would never encounter anyhow.

In cases where the rider is above the 150 or so lbs, you should add spring pre-load prior to riding.

>>> langhammx, post #5, #14, #15, #18, are right on and accurate. Shawn, in a few more weeks I guess I will have to spring for a white robe and a walking stick & send them to you now that David Carradine is no longer working the circuit. Guess it will be time to gather up your grasshoppers and teach them the way of the suspension. By reading this post there is nothing more I can add with the exception of:

>>> went with the 12", Howard tried talking me into the 13"
<<< Ride is the same but you can lean over further even at higher speeds. Hard parts hit sooner. Your girlfriend will not be truly happy until you have 5 puncture wounds on each side. It is your duty!

As far as the front end goes, wait and learn about the new fork setup using your shells (fork tubes & sliders) and the Öhlins Road & Track drop in system. This is a very sophisticated system and is at the track and on other metric road bikes presently. Nothing better is offered presently by a long shot. Read up on it as they have been around for a few years. Unfortunately, it does take time to develop and adapt to HD’s.

>>> shekmark, I don't know how to adjust them and have not tried because I like the ride. If it can be even better I would love advice on how to adjust.
>>> Mark, as you already know getting your bike set up properly takes a little time. You can always call me anytime as you are in my time zone. I will walk you through it and I am sending you a PDF to your real e-Mail address. This will show you how to do it. Refer to langhammx’s above posts. Once you learn you can astound your family with your prowess but don’t count on getting out of taking out the garbage.

>>> PhilM
<<< You actually are around? How did Kevin AKA BUTTMAN make out?

Please Note: These shocks are not meant for those who are not willing to work at getting the right setting. These are very sensitive, a ¼ of a turn out is the difference between crap & unbelievable. It pays to read and adjust. Your call.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shocks....GREAT!