Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any body converted mp4 to mp3

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 10:58 PM
utlonghorns416
|
Road Master
Default Any body converted mp4 to mp3

Has any body done this, I dont like the fact that stereo doesnt display information from ipod, Id rather burn a disk.

Any help would be appreciated...............

Old 06-09-2009 | 12:44 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

There are a few applications for doing that. I had to test a couple (they were absolutely horrible).

DRM sucks. End of story.

That said - I stopped buying from iTunes and started purchasing MP3 files from Amazon.com instead.

Old 06-09-2009 | 08:42 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master

+1 John, iTunes goes out of their way to make sure you have to buy one of their Ipods to play the music you already paid them for. Sources like Rhapsody, the new Napster, etc, or any of the legit pay-per-song sites will get you the MP3 format you need.

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:20 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

DRM is actually very necessary in the business world and whether we like it or not, DRM is only going to get more visibility.

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:28 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by utlonghorns416
Has any body done this, I dont like the fact that stereo doesnt display information from ipod, Id rather burn a disk.

It's not really advertised but your iTunes software will do it.

I got a Ipod Nano recently and had previously a MP3 Creative Zen Nano Plus. There were several things with the iTunes program I didn’t really care for and there MP4(acc)file format. I achieved success in converting these iTunes to MP3 without having to use another software program.

Whenever I inserted a Music CD it automatically RIP it in MP4 format and I wanted to stay MP3 to keep my library consistent and also many CD players will do MP3 but not MP4.

Go to iTunes settings for importing (at the top of screen: EDIT, then PREFENCES, then IMPORT SETTINGS) and set to MP3(I use 160kbs high quality).

Also in the "View Options" in iTunes, make sure that "kind" is checked. That'll tell you what file format the music is in. (If it's anything OTHER than "Protected AAC," you can go highlight all of the songs, and select "Create MP3 version." It's under the advanced menu heading.

If they're protected put all songs in a newly created playlist, then Hit BURN(botton right hand corner iTunes) to a audio cd. Make sure your importing preferences are set to MP3 - at least 128kbs. (I do 160)..

Reinsert the burned Audio CD you just made and import the songs back into iTunes, but do not over-write the original songs that are in iTunes.

This brings the songs back to your library as MP3 format and you still have copy of MP4 if you want it.

No extra software required!

Old 06-09-2009 | 09:41 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

MP4 is a video format to my knowledge. I'm not aware of any unit that transfers song titles through an auxillary port but I'm certainly not an expert. Maybe try a head unit that has a front USB port and is set up to control an MP3 player. Almost all of the manufacturers have models that have these features plus an auxillary port on the face of the unit. Also if it has a front USB you don't need an Ipod - just a thumbdrive loaded with your music.

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:23 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by utlonghorns416

Easy enough to do:

Burn your MP4s to a CD from iTunes

Make sure your import settings are set to MP3

Reinstall the CD and import the songs as "NEW" files (do not over-write)

Nowe you will have the songs stored as MP3s

Burn a new CD choosing the MP3s as your playlist.

Works fine, you just waste a few blank CDRs or you can also use one CDRW.

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:25 AM
utlonghorns416
|
Road Master

Thanks acchd and rodeo, I'll give that a try.

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:29 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior

http://www.tunebite.com

Say goodbye to DRM forever. It also converts between a veritable boatload of formats.

Napster To-Go + Tunebite = my MP3 library over-floweth with great joy!

Old 06-10-2009 | 01:06 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

MP4 is a video format to my knowledge.
Didn't catch that one - Assuming he meant M4P.
Easy enough to do:

Burn your MP4s to a CD from iTunes (etc., etc.)
This will certainly work - But keep in mind that you're turning severely compressed MP3 data (used in M4P files also), turning it back into PCM data and then severely compressing it *again* in a not-so-friendly manner.

Works? Yes. Sounds absolutely horrific? Yes. "Good enough for the bike?" Up to you.

If they worked out some of the kinks, it might be worth a shot. That's one of the programs I was testing (and stamped "Not Acceptable" at the time due to the impressive loss of sound quality). That said - I'd hope that they made it workable. I never got into the code, but it sounded as if it was converting to PCM and back to MP3 on the fly.

I'm still a fan of just getting MP3 files. One lossy conversion is enough.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 06-10-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Any body converted mp4 to mp3