Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight and Acc switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight and Acc switch

When I bought my 08 Streetglide the headlight would go out when I turn the Ignition to Acc. I could listen to the radio in acc position when parked. Now when I turn it to Acc the light stays on. The only thing different is a headlight modulator but the seller says that wouldn't do it and when I unhook the mod it still does it. I pulled the acc fuse and it goes off but now that I added a amp the radio won't play in the acc position because the turn on for the amp is contected to the light. Help? Switch?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Trock take the bike to a auto technician with a wiring diagram better safe than sorry

Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have full service manual in front of me but I do have the ccts.

I am assuming you know how to measure Voltage and have a multimeter

The ignition switch activates the Lighting Relay when the switch is in the IGN position. This trigger signal comes from the Red / Black wire from the Ignition switch. There is a common connection to the 15A fuse called "Ignition" so I would do the following:

Pull this fuse (ideally of you only pull it a short distance then maybe you can get your meter on 1 of the fuse legs)

Put your meter on the incoming side of the fuse holder (if you pull the fuse completely, or any leg of the fuse if you pull it out slightly and you have lights on). If you don't know which side is incoming, try both. You should get 12V with the ignition switch in IGN position and OV with it in the acc position.

If you are getting 12V in both positions then it sounds like there is a welded connection in the Ignition switch or you are getting a spurious 12V coming back off the bike somehow.

If you are getting 12V and OV switching based on ignition switch position then the next check is the lighting relay. I have no idea where this is, but if it is easy and convenient to get to then you need to check if there is a continuity change when you switch the ignition switch. If this does not make sense then pm me and I will give you more info, but that will only be later tonight when I can get my service manual in front me

Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Don't have full service manual in front of me but I do have the ccts.

I am assuming you know how to measure Voltage and have a multimeter

The ignition switch activates the Lighting Relay when the switch is in the IGN position. This trigger signal comes from the Red / Black wire from the Ignition switch. There is a common connection to the 15A fuse called "Ignition" so I would do the following:

Pull this fuse (ideally of you only pull it a short distance then maybe you can get your meter on 1 of the fuse legs)

Put your meter on the incoming side of the fuse holder (if you pull the fuse completely, or any leg of the fuse if you pull it out slightly and you have lights on). If you don't know which side is incoming, try both. You should get 12V with the ignition switch in IGN position and OV with it in the acc position.

If you are getting 12V in both positions then it sounds like there is a welded connection in the Ignition switch or you are getting a spurious 12V coming back off the bike somehow.

If you are getting 12V and OV switching based on ignition switch position then the next check is the lighting relay. I have no idea where this is, but if it is easy and convenient to get to then you need to check if there is a continuity change when you switch the ignition switch. If this does not make sense then pm me and I will give you more info, but that will only be later tonight when I can get my service manual in front me
Hey thanks for your time. I'll try what you said and see what I get. Again thanks