Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vovoguy09
Whatever you do, MAKE SURE THEY INSTALL COMPRESION RELEASES WHILE ITS APART! It will save you lots of headaches down the road. Often times the dealers have a discount on this in the off season.
I did not get compression releases and don't see that there is a need for them. The dealer generally does not recommend them either.

Not everyone will agree on this issue.

Andy

Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Why waste your money on HD "performance" parts? Get a GMR, HeadQuarters, hillside or other independent kit - look at a 107 vs a 103, why spend the labor on a 103 when a 107 cost the same?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
My question would be why would I buy a piece of crap Harley kit when I could get a Head Quarters kit that really does something?
Real performance costs money, a 103 kit that cost $600 is a waste of time.
If you aren't going to do head work don't do anything!!!
If you get a Harley kit yes its worthless. But Harley makes good parts you just need to mix and match to build your own kit. The parts from harley work fine. Headwork is a bonus more airflow equals more power.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

Originally Posted by jag1886
My question would be why would I buy a piece of crap Harley kit when I could get a Head Quarters kit that really does something?
Real performance costs money, a 103 kit that cost $600 is a waste of time.
If you aren't going to do head work don't do anything!!!
I'm not sure of the basis for your opinion, however, I did have the HD 103 Stage 2 kit installed at a reasonable cost. The performance increase was well worth the money and knowing that it would not violate the HD warranty was a plus.

I did not have any head work done either. I felt pretty comfortable that the manufacturer of the engine would have the knowledge and ability to produce engine parts that would reliably improve performance.

It really is up to the individual to decide what works best for them. In my opinion, the HD kit was not a waste of time!

Andy

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine runs fine and will run hard against any HD, I installed the SE Comp which helped with hot starts.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

I'd suggest while it is tore down get the comp releases installed. Save you money later.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

HD kit isn't a bad way to go if you're looking to save some cash. You can get most of the kits online at 20% off or more. It's pretty good bang for the buck.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy Engemann
I'm not sure of the basis for your opinion, however, I did have the HD 103 Stage 2 kit installed at a reasonable cost. The performance increase was well worth the money and knowing that it would not violate the HD warranty was a plus.

I did not have any head work done either. I felt pretty comfortable that the manufacturer of the engine would have the knowledge and ability to produce engine parts that would reliably improve performance.

It really is up to the individual to decide what works best for them. In my opinion, the HD kit was not a waste of time!
Andy
Have to agree with Andy! I also did the HD 103 Stage II on a relatively new bike back in '07. The kit was definitely not a waste of time or money! The warranty was priceless as the bike had a problem after the build, not related to the build, but it took a good Harley shop the better part of a day to figure out the problem. All covered under warranty. This was a failed Harley part. I believe that if I had gone with another build, other than Harley, there would have been a lot of finger pointing getting the problem resolved and would have been more of a headache.

With that said, if you are looking for more power the Headquarters, GMR or Hillside kits appear to be great builds from what I've seen and heard.

IMHO - I just wanted a decent power increase at a fair price and to maintain the warranty on a $20K bike. I like to ride, so I figured, if I had a problem on the road, I could find a Harley dealer and get back on my way.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

I have 200 mi on the 103 upgrade. Bought it at the dealer and installed there as well. Mechanic programmed the tuner w/ a general tune from a motor same as mine. I need another 300 mi to break in the new parts. I'll get on the dyno after 2000 mi for the final tune. At 1000 mi service I added V&H slipons, SE intake and stage 1 download. Helped a lot. At 10,000 did the 103 SE 103 kit. So far it does everything much better. This is no doubt my final engine up grade. As far as compression releases go I personally don't see the need. The compression at start up is basically same as stock. Not trying to start a fight just don't see the need so far on my bike. I have noticed no difference in starting hot or cold. Not sure yet but my fuel mileage seems to be a little better. Valve noise is about the same volume but a different tone. Exhaust is a bit louder and idle has a little more stumble. You can definately tell something has changed.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i hope this thread continues for a while. i don't mind spending money, but i sure do hate it when all is said and done, that i should have gone with another kit, or another shops kit to get far more of an increase. good information.

Quick Reply: 103 kit ?