Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable tour pack/amp ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
cedub
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable tour pack/amp ???

Hey guys and girls. Long time voyeur, first time poster...I have an 06 electraglide standard with the HD CD/radio and detachable tour pack with rear speakers. I cannot figure out a way to remove the tour pack without cutting the rrar speaker wires....BTW, to further complicate things, the HD amp is mounted to the bottom of the tour pack. This means the rear speakers go into the wiring harness that plugs into the amp. Long story short..(too late)..when I remove the tourpack, the amp comes with it, so only thing i can think of is cutting the rear speaker wires or mounting the amp in a saddlebag (only place i can find where wires will still reach. But then, i think i might run into heat issues if it sits in the closed bag. Any ideas???

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Tom from http://harleygoodies.com/ here. there has to be a better way than that. Will your amp fit in the batwing somehow? If so cut those rear speaker wires and rewire all that stuff to the rear speakers with a quick detach for the rear speakers when you want to take the tour pack off.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
cedub
1st Gear

Hmmm...that would work IF the amp fits up there..I think it's prob. 4" by 7" approx. But then i was thinking, it can't be any cooler up there than in a bag right?? I think it is the same stereo setup as stock ultras, kinda defeats the purpose of a 'detachable pack' huh?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 760 Likes on 279 Posts

If it is the standard Radio Sound amp and speaker pods (like mine) , there is a connector in line for each pod, and the connector that plugs into the amp.

You remove the connector from the amp, and the connectors from each pod, and take the tour pack off (remember to disconnect the antenna wire and lighting connector inside the tour pack as well.

I marked the pod connector on one side with a cable tie so that I would plug them into the correct side when reattaching.

Remove the seat and the wiring harness can be rolled up and fit under the seat behind where the battery goes.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior

cedub,

check your email

Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
cedub
1st Gear

JAMESW, that would be perfect except the stereo don't work if amp not connected which is bolted under the pack. So removing the pack, removes the amp.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior

The amp drives the rear speakers, the radio has an amp that drives the fronts.

call me, I sent you my #. I can explain it better .

Old 06-08-2009, 04:08 PM
cedub
1st Gear

I'm supposed to be working right now...haha..so can't call but when I unplugged the amp harness from the rear amp over the weekend...strereo had no sound, front or rear. I expected no rear sound but front had me scratchin my head.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior

I would hazard a guess that the fact that the harness was still hooked up to the pods (and by extension, the controls located in the pods) meant that the rear system was not fully removed from the circuit.

Again, this is if you have the standard Radio Sound amp and speaker pods.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
cedub
1st Gear

Yea, I think you'r right. I'm home now, pulled the pack off and now it's hanging by the rear speaker pods. Like u said, the volume and channel button wires that lead up to the radio in fairing. Radio no work amp unplugged..radio no work..hmm