Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp replacement on '04 FLHRS (or comparable model)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
chicagoavatar
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp replacement on '04 FLHRS (or comparable model)

Hi,

Just recently picked up an '04 Road King Custom. I like the look of the newer (clear) headlamps so I ordered one (68342-05) from ebay for a decent price. I was going to replace it yesterday but then realized I don't know the procedure and the owner's manual does not have this info. The replacement headlamp has no mounting hardware. I figured it was as simple as removing the "headlight door" but have not had a chance to take a look....anyway, I was out today and stopped by the dealer for an unrelated matter and figured maybe I'd pickup a service manual since the owner's manual doesn't have that much info anyway...but they were out. I asked the parts guy about replacing the headlight and he said I would have to remove the complete enclosure including the "deflector visor", etc....he gave me a copy of the exploded parts view from the computer and that is a lot of parts....is there not an easier way?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that difficult. Pretty obvious once you start taking it apart. Unless you don't know how to use a screwdriver, dive into it.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
chicagoavatar
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks...yeah, figure so and on most occasions I'm not too scary with a screw driver (now sockets and torque wrenches, that a different story ). Just strange the dealer (parts guy) would say it was such a complicated procedure....but then again from past experiences I should know to never pay much attention to what the dealers say