Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive heat on 09 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:02 PM
ultraride09
|
Stage I
Question excessive heat on 09 ultra

I sold my BMW 1200 LT and bought a 09 ultra classic. I am very pleased with how the bike handles and how comfortable the ride is. My only concern is with the excessive engine heat. The heat under the seat is gone but now there is a lot of heat forward on the right side around my calf muscle. Any suggestions for reducing the heat?

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:13 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

Buy an '05, hehehehe. I am running synthetic and have RJ's Originals on mine along with true duals and I have no heat issues.

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:17 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ultraride09
I sold my BMW 1200 LT and bought a 09 ultra classic. I am very pleased with how the bike handles and how comfortable the ride is. My only concern is with the excessive engine heat. The heat under the seat is gone but now there is a lot of heat forward on the right side around my calf muscle. Any suggestions for reducing the heat?
I have the same complaint about my ’09 Ultra Classic Tri-Glide. I have installed an oil temp. gauge and have seen readings as high as 289 degrees.

I have a 10 fin Jagg horizontal oil cooler on back order and want to install Big Sky oil cooler fan if it will fit. I plan on talking to Big Sky tomorrow. I also plan on installing a Power Commander-V with Autotune from FuelMoto. I suspect that one of the reasons that the ‘09’s run so hot is because they run lean for EPA purposes!

Jim

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:23 PM
ranman469
Road Master

i have a 09 also. i have no real heat problems.other than the exhaust pipes get hot, and burns when i where flip flops.

it is air cooled

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:27 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Good thing you did'nt get a 07, try changing to a good synthetic oil and oil cooler, think the heat is coming from the pipes though and that wont help much.

Old 06-07-2009 | 09:31 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

our heat shields have the largest foot print that I know of in the industry.If you give it a try and you tell me it does not work simply send it back for a full refund.I have never received any of our products back.
Thank you
The Captain

Old 06-08-2009 | 01:05 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
our heat shields have the largest foot print that I know of in the industry.If you give it a try and you tell me it does not work simply send it back for a full refund.I have never received any of our products back.
Thank you
The Captain
Normally I wouldn't comment on your frequent efforts to sell more of your products. I like supporting forum sponsors (you are still a sponsor, right?), and have purchased from a number of them (as evidenced below). But in this case I don't think you read the guy's post closely. First, he's got an '09 Ultra, which means he should already have a heat shield near the seat from the factory. Also note that the exhaust runs different on the '09 as compared to '08 and before. That means that your heat shield won't go over the exhaust pipe, which would curve to a point in front of the shield in your picture.

Second, he's complaining about heat on his calf, not his thigh. While your heat shield might cover a bit more of the upper leg I'm not sure it's going to do anything for the calf. As noted, the exhaust pipe is run differently, so a part of his complaint is likely coming from there as well as the engine heat.

As for the problem, Ultraride, I'd suggest that you try extending the floorboards out with either Soos or Harley Goodies. I've had both. I had Harley Goodies on my '07 Heritage and they worked well. When I got the '09 Ultra I decided to go with Soos and I love them. Both are good products. I noticed an immediate difference in comfort for both the Heritage and the Ultra. You'll be surprised how much difference moving your legs out an inch will make on how you feel the heat.

I had synthetic oil in my Heritage and that seemed to help. I had the oil temp dipstick at the time I made the switch. The day before I switched I noted the external air temp and humidity as well as the oil temp on a routine ride. I then switched to synthetic the next day. Similar air temp and humidity at same time of day on same ride gave me a 10 degree difference in oil temp. Of course this is not a scientific experiment, and there could be many other factors that made the difference. For me, though, the idea that I had seen a measurable difference still made a difference.

I've not put synthetic in the Ultra yet (will at 5000 miles), so I can't comment on how much difference it will make. But based on the Heritage I'm going to guess it will make enough difference that you can measure it with the temp gauge.

On my Heritage I used a Cobra Fi2000R fuel injection management system which helped as well. It was a fairly easy install, even for a non-mechanic like me, and did not require any special tune-up or downloads. This is another of those items where I saw a difference between the temp before the install and the temp after.

Since you're a former BMW rider then you're used to spending lots of money on toys.

There's an oil cooler I looked at in the June edition of either American Rider or American Bagger that looked promising, if you don't mind spending $450. Unlike other oil coolers this particular brand has a fan that circulates air through the cooler when the bike is stopped. That's one of the biggest debates on oil coolers, they need air moving through them to really be effective. The "Ultra Cool" oil cooler allegedly solves that problem. Here's a link:

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/

The last solution ... ride faster.

Last edited by doc_cj; 06-08-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2009 | 05:24 AM
Mick
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum!
I noticed the same thing on my 09 , there seems to be a small nuclear reactor near my right leg.
The mid frame deflectors do a pretty good job protecting my thighs , and the left side doesn't seem too bad.
I wanted to leave the engine stock for a least 5000 miles to see if it might calm down a bit.
I just removed the lower fairings and removed the fairing vents , and put the lowers back on without the vents.
This helped a bunch , but I will install floor board spacers like my last bike , this will help a bit more.
Check your manual and turn on the EITMS , which will shut down fuel to the rear cylinder at 0% throttle in traffic , this works pretty good also.
The only other thing I could suggest would be a fuel tuner of some sort to richen the low speed mixture.
I didn't want to mess with the fuel mixture yet because I wanted to see what fuel mileage I could coax from this bike.
Yesterday I got 50 MPG while doing a ride with the local HOG chapter.
I also run synthetic oil to protect it a little better while it runs so hot.
Mick

Old 06-08-2009 | 05:36 AM
ranman469
Road Master

here is a tip that should inprove things.
in my quest for a cool ride on a harley.{lol}
i felt that the opening doors on the lowers did not allow enough air through them.
so i removed just the doors that open, it allows a few more of inches of air through.
it was a noticable diffrence on my feet and leg.
some of my friends removed their lowers all together. that was not an option for me. i have speakers in the lowers

Old 06-08-2009 | 05:46 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Have '09 Ultra myself. Was hot with the regular oil until my first Oil Change towards to Synthetic and has ran cool with no mods ever since. Have either closed or opened the lower vents whenever the temperatures of the day is. Ultra ran top notch as I truly loved everything about the bike itself.

Thorey

Quick Reply: excessive heat on 09 ultra