Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive heat on 09 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:57 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twinrider
That'll fix it, give Fuel Moto a ring.
Thanks, yeah I was thinking Fuel Moto, had a Power Commander on the last Ultra and liked the changes. It seems that the Fuel Moto is much easier to calibrate, from what I have been hearing.

Old 06-10-2009 | 09:14 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior

At my 1000 mile service I put in Syn3. Heat has never been an issue at the calf area for me. But it runs about 20 degrees cooler with Syn3.

If Wisconsin doesn't warm up soon I might want mine to run hotter!

Old 06-10-2009 | 09:49 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Thanks, yeah I was thinking Fuel Moto, had a Power Commander on the last Ultra and liked the changes. It seems that the Fuel Moto is much easier to calibrate, from what I have been hearing.
They'll do all the map tuning for you and double the warranty. Can't beat that.

When I first got my RK it ran really hot. Not HD's fault though, I blame the EPA....

Old 06-10-2009 | 10:10 AM
3Deffect
Cruiser

On my 09 Ultra I ran it stock for 500 miles then had the SERT, oil cooler, slipons, etc.. installed. I have no idea what temps were at but I can feel a noticeable difference on the heat. From what I understand the SERT makes the biggest dfference.

Old 06-10-2009 | 10:29 AM
HDRick
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ultraride09
I sold my BMW 1200 LT and bought a 09 ultra classic. I am very pleased with how the bike handles and how comfortable the ride is. My only concern is with the excessive engine heat. The heat under the seat is gone but now there is a lot of heat forward on the right side around my calf muscle. Any suggestions for reducing the heat?
No sarcasm, but being your first and only post, welcome to the forum, did you do a "search" on heat issues before you asked the question or made your purchase?

Old 06-10-2009 | 10:35 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I don't really feel a heat problem with my SG, but I test drove an Ultra and those lower fairings do hold the heat in. You Might consider taking the fairings off in the summer.

Beary

Old 06-11-2009 | 12:51 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mick
Welcome to the forum!.............
Check your manual and turn on the EITMS , which will shut down fuel to the rear cylinder at 0% throttle in traffic , this works pretty good also.
The only other thing I could suggest would be a fuel tuner of some sort to richen the low speed mixture.
I didn't want to mess with the fuel mixture yet because I wanted to see what fuel mileage I could coax from this bike.
Yesterday I got 50 MPG while doing a ride with the local HOG chapter.
I also run synthetic oil to protect it a little better while it runs so hot.
Mick
Hey Mick, 50 MPG? I only WISH I could come close to that. Lucky if I could get near 40! Regarding the EITMS? Mine comes on ALL the time, less than 5 minutes in modest normal traffic and there she goes .......buh buh buh buh buh. My Roadie never does it nor does my girl's Street Glide. Yes, those two run a bit warm, but nothing like the police bike. Granted, it's a 103 vs. a 96, but b-i-g deal!
Think I may go ahead with FuelMoto package. Only need to know if I can take the cans apart to ceramic coat them black along with the OE head pipes and shields. All it takes is money right? Hell, maybe if I did as well as your 50 MPG I'd be half way there. How many miles on your bike? I only have about 2K on her now, so she's probably still a bit tight.

Old 06-11-2009 | 01:03 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Hey Mick, 50 MPG? I only WISH I could come close to that. Lucky if I could get near 40! Regarding the EITMS? Mine comes on ALL the time, less than 5 minutes in modest normal traffic and there she goes .......buh buh buh buh buh.
My Road King was similar in city traffic. Now I'm running synthetic through an oil cooler in addition to FM's PCV and Stage 1 A/C, and EITMS never kicks in. In fact, I had to check to make sure it's still enabled.

Old 06-11-2009 | 06:09 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

Da Butcher , I have about 3000 miles on the bike so far.
If this bike is like my last bike (06 FLHT Carbed) it will get looser and cooler till around 5000 miles.
Here's how I got 50 MPG Sunday.
My setup was 40lbs front , 42 lbs rear , 30 lbs in the rear shocks , single riding.
I weigh about 180 and have about 30 lbs of cargo always in my bags.
Amsoil 20-50 in engine
Amsoil 75-90 in trans
Harley sport trans in primary
We went on a 230 mile ride through the NY southern tier and Keuka lake region.
We never rode on a highway , never used 6th gear either.
Speeds were almost always under 60 mph.
Fairly good sized hills and all 2 lane roads.
At 215 miles I filled up with 4.3 gals for 50 mpg.
Day was overcast and 60-69 degrees.
No real breeze because of weather.
Got rained on for 10-12 miles during ride.
Kept the tach from 2000 to 2700 all day.
I'm an old fart and ride really relaxed most of the time when I ride.
My 06 EG standard got 50 mpg twice after I rejetted the carb , added V&H classic slip ons and a Big Sucker air cleaner.
My previous best mileage was 2 up on a windy day for 46.5 mpg , also never used 6th gear.
Mileage drops in proportion to your right wrist , this helps the most I think.
Mick

Old 06-11-2009 | 06:18 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Make sure there is enough prestone...Try adding watter wetter to the radiator fluid, it reduced the operating temp a lot...

Quick Reply: excessive heat on 09 ultra