Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:45 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lesson Learned

I changed my tranny and primary oil today and after getting the primary all buttoned up and the area cleaned up. I had the bike running sitting on a block under the jiffy stand and also under the right side stand I made. I turned my back for a second and am guessing the jiffy stand lock wasn't locked and down it went. Man, it is scarey when you hear that noise with your back turned. Hollered at the wife and she ran out and we got it back up on the jiffy stand. Spilled gas(can't figure where it came from)all over the garage floor but no damage to bike. Finished cleaning up the mess and rolled it outside and let it sit for a few minutes, took the leaf blower and dried up the gas off the floor and just to be safe went over the bike with it. Started her up and she ran just fine, no leaks and still don't see any damage from the drop. Scared the **** right out of me, I can tell you that. Guess next time will come up with a set of chocks or take off blocks before I run it.

Joe

Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=

took the leaf blower and dried up the gas off the floor

Joe[/QUOTE]

You were luckier than you might have thought - Being a retired Fire Fighter (35 years) your lucky you did not set your self on fire..

Glad it all worked out..

Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
PDDGM
Road Master

Didn't really see a fire hazard, leaf blower was electric and I was a safe distance away not right on top of gas. I had already dried most up with disposable towels, and they were in the burn barrel down behind the shop. Thanks for the advice, will be more careful next time.
According to the manual I should have only put 32 oz of oil in the primary, but I couldn't see the oil level as stated in the book. I add some more, maybe 10 oz or so. Should I drain the oil out, and refill using only a qt.

Joe

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Didn't really see a fire hazard, leaf blower was electric and I was a safe distance away not right on top of gas. I had already dried most up with disposable towels, and they were in the burn barrel down behind the shop. Thanks for the advice, will be more careful next time.
According to the manual I should have only put 32 oz of oil in the primary, but I couldn't see the oil level as stated in the book. I add some more, maybe 10 oz or so. Should I drain the oil out, and refill using only a qt.

Joe
Was the bike on the jiffy stand when you filled the primary? If not and you had it jacked up I have a feeling pulling the primary cover will lead to another mess on your garage floor, though this one will be slightly less flammable, but pretty slick .

When I fill my primary with the bike on the jiffy stand 32 ounces comes just about to the bottom of the primary cover.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Joe

You sure you didnt put the oil in the wrong hole? You should see a quart and 10 more ounces should spill out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
PDDGM
Road Master

I had the bike standing straight up as the manual says, If I had it on the jiffy stand it wouldn't have fallen over and yep a qt would have most likely filled it up. So I should go drain out the oil and fill it on the jiffy stand not standing straight up as the owners manual says. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

As long as you can see the oil at the bottom of the clutch when you straighten the bike. Should be only a quart.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Joe

all depends on howmuch gas was/is on the floor... gas itself does NOT burn - its the fumes that ignight and the Elect motor is enough to do just that IF the air/vapor is correct.. I have been to many garage fires in my career where gas fumes and the smallest ign source sets off a blast...

Life is just a series of lessons learned - Like a lot of people, I have made the mistake of removing the wrong drain plug and emptied the trans instead of the oil....lol..

Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

if you're planning on doing maintenance at home, you might wanna get a floor jack for motorcycles. i use the aluminum yellow craftsman, and i like it. it will sit your bike upright for just such work. it's been very useful around my shop.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear no damage to the bike and yourself-ride safe

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned