Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$315 for 1,ooo mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Bandit4142
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $410 today out the door, using Royal Purple in all 3 at Colorado Springs Harley Davidson.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 AM
DamnYankee
Advanced

O got the 1000mi service included when I bought, but was under the impression the first service was required to be done by MOCO for warranty purposes?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 AM
hogrider98
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1k svc

I paid $85.00 including sales tax. bought all fluids,grease,and seal kit from dealer(syn3).
Brian

Attached Thumbnails 5 for 1,ooo mile service?-dscf0009.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

As much mileage as i put on my bike i would freakin go broke servicing my bike at the stealer....i worked very hard for years to get this dream bike of mine and i wouldn't let the dealer rape me over a few quarts of oil when they really don't look your bike over like they say they do...That is someboby's perogative if they wan't to pay that kind of money to change or some peoplle that ride harleys have enough "DISPOSABLE" cash on hand that they don't care....If you car dealer told you that your first service on your F250 was $250.00 you would tell them they have lost their freakin mind right....why not the HD Stealer then...Highway ripoff...I use them for warranty work or parts n service that nobody else can do...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

If you don't have the factory service manual for your bike buy it!

Going rate in my friends shop is 200 with synthetics.

I do my own for about 60 bucks using Mobil1 bike specific synthetics in the engine/primary and synthetic gear lube in the tranny.

I have a display stand and it works out well for changing the oil.

Make sure you have a Torx27 bit for the derby and inspection covers.

I'll tell you the first time I did mine I cursed for hours. My biggest problem was finding a drain pan short enough to fit under the bike, but large enough to hold a gallon of oil.

If you don't know how to cut a 2 liter soda bottle into a drain trough to keep oil off the voltage regulator and motor mount learn how before you start!

If you have basic S.A.E. (fractional) hand tools, including the T27bit and allen sockets you'll be fine

Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Very therapeutic to do your own service....personnal satisfaction...

Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM
federij
Novice

Mine was free. Dealer was running a special on 09's.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruralmed
Outrageous cash for what you could do in your garage in an afternoon. Buy a service manual it will save you many Benjis.
It's really easy--basically oil changes, greasing the steering head, lubing the cables, and torquing "critical fasteners." Some bolts are not accessible with a TQ wrench without removing the tank, on an '07 anyway, and I just made sure they were tight using an open-end or box-end wrench. I'll wager $100 the techs don't remove the tank either. Otherwise it was a one-hour job.

Many think there's something magical about the 1K service and the warranty, but this is a myth. As for any service during the warranty period you can DIY and maintain your warranty as long as you do it right and keep receipts for all maintenance items (oil, filters, etc.). My bike was never in the service dept. for routine maintenance, and if it hadn't been for an LED light that went out on the display module (high-beam, turn-signals, etc.) the bike would never have set tire in the service dept. That module was $50 and I wasn't going to buy it myself while in the warranty period, even though I'm averse to having these guys touch my bike. There's one tech there that I trust and I had him do the job.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DamnYankee
O got the 1000mi service included when I bought, but was under the impression the first service was required to be done by MOCO for warranty purposes?
Not true. If they require the first service be done at the dealer to maintain the warranty they must provide it free. That is a law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). My last new car had a mandatory first-service at the dealer, and it was free.

All you must do is log what you did and keep receipts for oil, filter, etc.

Last edited by iclick; 06-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Very therapeutic to do your own service....personnal satisfaction...
It's also an important bonding experience with your bike. Both you and the bike will benefit from the emotional ties that form with this first act of kindness and caring.

Last edited by iclick; 06-07-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: $315 for 1,ooo mile service?