Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used King Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009 | 09:08 AM
1flhtk4me
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Buying a used King Tour Pak

Found a King Tour Pac on Craigs List.
The seller wants $350 for it.Has scratches from laying bike down.Says there are no structural damagages.It is painted black which means I would have to have repaired and painted to Chopper Blue.

Do you think there are any savings going this route rather than buying a new color matched pac?

Old 06-06-2009 | 09:14 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior

Unless it comes with a good back rest, and some of the other needed items. mounting rack, ETC. IT seems in all my looking if you have to repair it and repaint it. it is usually better to just buy a new one from one of the places that offer 20 percent off. The repainting is expensive. and I am one of those people that if I have to fix it, paint it etc, and then have a repaired used item and end up saving 100 bucks, I am going with the new one.

Last edited by Mathews2; 06-06-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-06-2009 | 09:15 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I agree with what he said^^.

Old 06-06-2009 | 09:21 AM
1flhtk4me
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Looked at the pic again and it only comes with the top rack.
I was thinking the same thing about the additional costs.I know paint aint cheap.
Probly could not grind him down too much.
Thanks.

Old 06-06-2009 | 09:23 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Unless of course if you know how to repair and paint yourself..

Old 06-06-2009 | 09:59 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

Originally Posted by StreetGlider56
Unless of course if you know how to repair and paint yourself..
+1 Exactly! Or you know someone that can shoot too! And remember...but one thing off ebay for a good price...the rest can be bought too! Do yo want instant gratification or do you want a project?

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 06-06-2009 | 10:53 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior

I love a good project myself, and really like getting together with some riding buddies and working on something for the scoots. And don't get me wrong I have purchased alot of stuff and then worked on it and it is very gratifying. But there is a point were the project is not worth the effort. putting all the new parts together and adding quick release hardware for a new tour pack is a great project

Old 06-06-2009 | 10:56 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

Buy new.

Sometimes the cheapest way, becomes the most expensive.

Old 06-06-2009 | 11:26 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Saw one on C-LIST about a month ago...NEW,black,ultra, detach,backrest,luggage rack for $800.00. Guy bought for his Street Glide.sold bike and new owner dint want it go figure??/Thought that a deal.just got to keep looking....also check swaps....bought my ultra,black,Like new(Sat for awile,dusty) No backrest,no luggage for $400.00..Had to wait till end of the day to get that deal but deals are out there if you are patient!! Good luck!!
Also check other states on C-LIST....guys will ship..you take a chance of not seeing it upclose.but ive never had a problem.always 1st time!!!!!

Last edited by riteway; 06-06-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2009 | 02:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Found a King Tour Pac on Craigs List.
The seller wants $350 for it.Has scratches from laying bike down.Says there are no structural damagages.It is painted black which means I would have to have repaired and painted to Chopper Blue.

Do you think there are any savings going this route rather than buying a new color matched pac?
There is a lot of work involved in preparing a King TP for paint; namely, disassembling the tour pak's hardware. The hinge rivets require a special blind rivet tool as do the lid latch pieces when you reassemble the TP.

I like a good project; but, unless you paint yourself and the used tour pak comes with the backrest, you'll probably be better off finding a used TP that is in better condition w/ the backrest or buying the TP new and finding the backrest on ebay/CL.

I've done the "disassembly of the TP/paint/reassemble" drill a couple of times and for a stock color TP with backrest, new is almost always less expensive/better TP route.

Quick Reply: Buying a used King Tour Pak