Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Chrome and Keeping it Shining.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. I've always used wax on the chrome including the pipes and have never had any discoloration.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:46 PM
jsims002
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Eagle 1 Nanowax spray on everything minus rubber. Purple power is good for knocking tar and grime build up off the engine and frame.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So it's true, you can suck the chrome off.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminroadking
I have waxed the exhaust on every bike I have owned. It has never discolored. In fact it makes cleaning the road grime much easier. Just make sure the pipes are cool and you remove all the wax. It's always been a part of my cleaning ritual.

Been doing the same thing for 36 + years. No problems here either. JR

Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleybill2008
I noticed that there was some question on how best to keep chrome shiny, clean and protected so I did some searching on the internet and came across this from a chromer. Thought people might be interested in what she has to say.

"I am the female owner of Custom Wors Plating and Polishing. I noticed this question and couldn't resist answering. I get this question a lot from my customers and people on the street. Chrome is not anything more than a clear coat over your nickel to keep it from oxidizing. Using ANYTHING abrasive will cause you to literally rub the chrome off. The best thing to use on chrome is just plain old SOAP & WATER or GLASS CLEANER. You should always keep it waxed with a CARNUBA wax. This is non abrasive and will protect your chrome. Keeping chrome clean will preserve it for a long time. If your chrome is showing rust you should have it rechromed because if not it will continue to rust. This just means there is nothing covering the bare metal and will continue to rust. If you would like to see the true chrome process go to www.customworksplating.com or call me and I will help you as much as possible."
Thanks for the post. I have heard from time to time NOT to wax chrome, but I always have, including my chrome pipes (they've never turned blue). I use Turtle Wax carnauba wax. By the way, I would expect nothing but good advice from a fellow Tallmadge Blue Devil!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:19 PM
jg4660
Cruiser

I use this stuff as suggested by someone here a while ago works great on everything from stem to stearn.

JG

Attached Thumbnails Cleaning Chrome and Keeping it Shining.-bike-polish.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting... That is what Ive always done (wash with soap and water, polish with glass cleaner) - just cuz Im lazy... Who knew I was doin it right?...

Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
So it's true, you can suck the chrome off.
Stop it dude! No more. I think I may have just soiled my pants I laughed so hard.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
JAMESAK51
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been using the same product for years. It's called Dri-Wash. I use it on the paint, chrome and windshields. Just spray it on and wipe it down with a micro-fiber towel. The stuff works great, a little pricey but it goes a long ways. If they ever stop making it I'll be lost. I get compliments all the time how my bikes sparkle and it only takes a few minutes to wipe a whole bike down, after you use a couple of times the bugs come off easily.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Simichrome is an abrasive, be careful how much you use, and how much pressure
you use while applying it. It will eventually wear out the chrome if you use it too much.
Flitz is a finer compound than simichrome, and is more forgiving.

I would not use simichrome on a newly chromed part, only chrome that needs
freshening up, or is very dirty or starting to pit. You wouldn't take sandpaper to your new chrome would you?
simichrome is sandpaper if paste from.

Don't get me wrong, I do use it when the chrome is starting to look crappy,
and is weathered, but would not use it on new chrome, especially show chrome

Quick Reply: Cleaning Chrome and Keeping it Shining.