Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Turned

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Left Turned

I saw this quote from a cop who used to train bike cops. I thought it was right on the money. A cop was left turned in Cape Coral Fl he was hurt bad , a biker is a biker to me and I hope he pulls through.

What happened to Officer Garcia could happen to anyone -- motorcyclists and drivers alike.

"I'm a former police officer and I train police officers in offensive manipulation," Dean Engledow says.

Engledow has trained nearly 8,000 riders during his 20 years on a bike. He's making the trek from his hometown of St. Louis to vacation in Key West.

"I guess I ride 15,000 to 18,000 miles a year on average, and I mean, I've had lots of close calls," Engledow says.

The majority, he says, are the same: "43% of all motorcycle accidents -- the highest ratio -- come from the left side, or an offending vehicle coming from the left and turning into the motorcyclist.

That's what happened to Cape Coral Traffic Officer Damien Garcia.

Crash scene investigators say a third car caused a blind spot between Officer Garcia and the driver of an SUV. Garcia, driving in the left lane, was following another car in the right lane. As that car slowed to make a right turn, troopers say the SUV pulled out across both lanes of cross traffic -- colliding with Officer Garcia.

"Intersections -- there has to be heightened awareness, slowing down if necessary, being ready to stop," Engledow says. "Regardless of who's fault it is, (the motorcyclist) pays the price."

Godspeed to Officer Garcia.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That happened to me in a car also. Ran right into me as I was crossing the intersection. They just have to make it - I can see how easy it would be being hit on a bike.
Since then I have always been worried about that while on 2 wheels.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i hate the double turn intersections. where two lanes will be turning left at the same time. i pay very close attention as to a way out if i get crowded through the turn. and try to stay on the larger radius side of the turn, that way you're not trapped into the smaller radius, with less escape room. while being on a bike, you can assume that you're invisible to the cars. cause they always claim, "i just didn't see him"

Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
flashhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In our area (just east of Seattle) a lof of the new road construction purposely puts in traffic circles or round-a-bouts in lieu of 4-way stop light intersections. Better traffic flow, lower maintenance costs (no lights), and significantly reduced accident rates and when they do happen they are not head-on or 90 degree high speed impact but rather slower speed glancing blows.

You NEVER know if the other guy really sees you and intersections are the most worrisome part of riding for me. In a round-a-bout you have much more direct control over the event as when you enter you are obliged to yield to the other guy. (I do recognize the greater chance of being rear-ended as the guy behind you pays attention to the flow in the circle rather than what's ahead of him...)

As a biker, I greatly prefer dealing with traffic circles.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

That's interesting to me....We have a few traffic circles in Minnesota, and they have always seemed foreign to me. I always feel like people try to "jump in" without waiting for the people already in the circle. Scares me a bit, but maybe just because I didn't grow up with em.

S

Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 AM
jd533
Road Captain

I think the round-a-bouts are great for low flow traffic, but as soon as you get alot of flow through one it becomes a nightmare.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM
flashhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jd533
I think the round-a-bouts are great for low flow traffic, but as soon as you get alot of flow through one it becomes a nightmare.
I hear you. 1-2 lanes going in seems manageable. 3+ starts to get a bit crazy.