Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping your Bike cross country

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had to ship my bike to work locations across the country(at the companies expense of course) for extended projects. Never had any problems. I always purchase an additional insurance policy.
I would have ridden to the location but unfortunately in our line of business, environmental emergency response, does not allow the travel time on a bike.
Go for it no problem. There are several companies that provide this service.
I have some friends that ship their bikes from Colorado for bike week in Daytona every other year. Bikes arrive at the house ready to go..
Be safe

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stamper5498
Yes, Time restraints, I am retired but my wife isn't
Sorry...Didn't mean to sound like a dick...it was unintended.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
I have an idea!...Why not save the shipping cost and ride there. I mean isn't that what you bought them for?? I can understand shipping overseas and places like Hawaii and what not, but the lower 48 come on just ride!
Originally Posted by tremor
Any reason you're not able to ridie there and back?
I'm so tired of people jumping on posters asking about shipping and/or trailering their bikes before they have ANY background information. Most all of these folks have jobs, time constraints, or medical issues that force them to pursue an option other than riding several days to get somewhere. Besides, if someone wants to trailer their bike somewhere, put 20 miles on the odometer, and then trailer it home, that's their business and theirs alone. We can't all be Easy Rider and cruise the country for weeks at a time.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

There are a lot of boring miles between the East and the Rockies ( 2-3 days each way) so why not ship and fly or even rent. I've driven it several times and rode it once in 1977 and hope never to do it again even if I have the time.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmorgan
I'm so tired of people jumping on posters asking about shipping and/or trailering their bikes before they have ANY background information. Most all of these folks have jobs, time constraints, or medical issues that force them to pursue an option other than riding several days to get somewhere. Besides, if someone wants to trailer their bike somewhere, put 20 miles on the odometer, and then trailer it home, that's their business and theirs alone. We can't all be Easy Rider and cruise the country for weeks at a time.
How right you are, thanks for giving me a different perspective. As I said earlier sorry for sounding like a dick!

Last edited by Road Ranger; 06-05-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none taken Double R. No way to know everything about everything. Thanks for chiming in

Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
tremor
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which is precisely why I politely asked "is there any reason you aren't able to ride it both ways". Based on the response (which was provided) that might influence the info I provide.

Your faulty assumption that I was "jumping on" the OP is a case of you, well, "jumping on" my post based on a misread.

And, for the record, a few years ago I was thinking about shipping my bike to the coast and someone on one of these message boards politely asked "why can't you ride it?" which led me to the understanding that I probably could shoehorn a little more time into my schedule, which I did and I loved every minute it.

Had that question not been posed to me, I might never have made my first solo cross-country road trip.

Not everything is a blasted offensive gesture.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

MY wife and I are thinking about going back east for 10 days and doing a fly and ride but if the cost to ship mine is less than renting I would ship it there...actually I have the time right now and she doesn't and owuld love to ride it myself and have her meet me there...been cross country 4 times alone in a car and would love to do it on a bike...

Last edited by cowboy1; 06-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
stamper5498
Road Captain

I checked into the fly and ride once, they wanted $250.00 per day + would put a $2K retainer on my credit card in case of damage.
I decided against it. it was like they did not trust me was my take on it. I might be wrong???

Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
rooster3171
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you brother. I just bought an enclosed trailer and people always ask the same dumb a$$ question, "you bought a touring bike, ride it!" I trailer my bike because I have to work out of town, sometimes 2 to 3 weeks at a time and I could not possibly take clothing for this much time. Plus, my bike gets there clean and it will be secure when not riding. Hell, as far as I know riders that are against trailering their bikes probably live in trailers!

Last edited by rooster3171; 06-05-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Shipping your Bike cross country