Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kury crushers now, thinking supertrapp se or kerker slip-ons NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Joshman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kury crushers now, thinking supertrapp se or kerker slip-ons NEED ADVICE!

I got a 06 road glide stage 1 with andrews gear drive cams and V&H true dual headpipes. The Kuryakyn crushers have been on for a few months now and have been gettnig progressively louder! I know they "wear" in and make a little more noise in time but damn these used to sound nice and deep not too loud but now are killing me at hard throttle and highway speeds. I am running two options now for mufflers.......

A. Super trapp SE slip-ons which I know are the old Screaming Eagles
B. Kerker slip-ons with the K3 baffle

Now what i am looking to see opinions from people who are running either of these or have heard either. I know the SE trapps are only supposed to be 3db over stock but i am afraid they are going to be too quiet, on the other hand I don't know how much louder the Kerker slip-ons with K3 baffles will be and if they are as loud as the crushers I have defeted the purpose of getting new mufflers.

I know it;s hard to find "THE SOUND" and everyone has different opinions of what is too quiet and loud but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

I can speak to the SuperTrapp SE series. I had these on my 08 SG when I first bought it along with the stock headers. It had a great sound to me. I to want a nice sound and these provided it. The ST SE's are well known as a performance muffler also and made 81HP and 96 TQ with HD stage 1 AC and SERT tuner. I have the Bubs 7 right now because I wanted the true dual look but Im considering swithching back to the ST SE's for the same reasons you mention. With stock headers I would say the ST's are about half as loud as my Bubs or the Rineharts. Very mellow, not to loud but not to quiet. WOT is a pretty aggressive sound. With the true dual head pipes I suspect the ST SE's will be a little louder yet. I think you would be happy with them. Don't think you'll get much activity on this thread on this forum. Check some of the others which to me seem more performance oriented. One I know of has some discussion on the ST SE's. It was started by me. Also started one on this forum with no reply's. What's happened to this forum?
Gary

Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the crushers now and agree with you, mine has gotten louder. Tonight I had the right baffle out because it was rattling, it is wound with stainless steel wool, I thought of repacking it with new stuff to get the original sound back, Ive had them for 15k miles now. I am ready for some serious less noise now, I do interstate riding for 2 weeks at a time and 8-10 hours a day with wind/exh noise gets to me.
I thought of three alternatives Supertrapp fatshots, s/t 2-1 with discs, and V&H monster ovals.
I have a 103 kit putting out 108/113 at 4200 rpms so I spoke with my builder and he said the fatshots will cut too much power out because of their restrictive muffler, those would only be good on a stock motor.
He said the 2-1 would actually give more power because of the scavenging affect of the 2-1. It would be much quieter but my personal taste prevents me from putting a 2-1 on a bagger....It just looks wrong, but I almost had myself talked into it until I looked at the monster ovals. He couldnt give me a power output with those because he hasnt worked with a set yet being that theyre too new, but said the chambers are big enough to be less restrictive, and more than likely my power band will change, but still making close to my 108/113.
Tomorrow I am going to call the V&H rep he knows and get some final numbers before I pull the trigger. The MO's with tune will be about $1300 though

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 AM
woods
Cruiser

I am running Supertrapp SEs and can't complain.
Just went V & H true dual pipes with them this week and they did get a little louder off idle but not too bad.
Very happy with them

Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Joshman
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and bit the bullet with the Supertrapp SE mufflers and DAMN I love the sound!! About half as loud as the current state of the crushers and still have a great rumble but I can hear myself think on the highway and hard acceleration. Anyone wanting a little more sound than stock but not a killer on the highway this is it!!! Thanks again for the input guys............