Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on installing EZ Adjustable pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Question on installing EZ Adjustable pushrods

Heres where I am at...
Installed all four pushrods....found TDC for front cylinder and adjusted rods out 3 turns(instructions say 3-4 turns), waited 10 min and both rods spun freely.

Turned rear tire and found TDC for rear cylinder. Checked front rods and the intake is still loose but the exhaust is tight..cannot spin it.

Installed rear pushrods and adjusted 3 turns out. They are bleeding down now and starting to loosen up. Front exhaust is still tight.

Is it normal? Do they each take a turn going tight as the cam turns? Hope that makes sense.

Dont want to turn tire again until I know for sure.

FWIW...If you ever install them spend the bucks for the short covers. I didnt and payed hell getting everything in.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You figured the front cylinder sits still while you find top dead center on the rear? The exhaust valve for the front cylinder is open! Pull the plug, get a flashlight, & look in the hole! You want the push rod loose while the cam lobe is up?..............Probably not!

"Do they all take a turn going tight as the cam turns"....... Are you serious? No, the cam just rotates & the valves stay shut! Saves on gas.........

Everyone has to learn sometime..........you should try it.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

each cylinder has two TDC positions, TDC compression and TDC exhaust. hope you didnt *** anything up turning it over like that

edit: i re read your post and it doesnt sound like you would have messed it up, but yes on compression TDC for the rear cyl, the front exhaust valve will be open

Last edited by OG1; 06-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain

Thanks OG1.. thats what I needed to know.

Jinks...what the **** is your problem? If you wanted to be a dick you should have just stayed out of the thread. Seems like just another keyboard cowboy.

MODS...If you want to pull this thread go right ahead. It will probably go downhill from here and I got my answer.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bub...I assume you're doing a cam change? How's it going besides? I'm going to do mine after the riding season is over. Let me know how yours turns out. Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbas1
Jinks...what the **** is your problem? If you wanted to be a dick you should have just stayed out of the thread. Seems like just another keyboard cowboy.
Reread my post. I didn't call you any names. I answered your question & added information that would verify what was happening. Didn't fit the kind & gentle response you wanted? Neither will not understanding what goes on in a motor & doing things to it you don't understand. Keyboard cowboy? No, but I can adjust the valves on a Harley, & know what I'm doin'.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

did you get her all buttoned up and running?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
bubbas1
Road Captain

I wont finish it till Sun because I am about to head out of town.

Everything else went good. I took it apart to check/change the cam chain tensioners. Outer had little wear but inner was almost completely shot. 33k miles on bike. Was going to change cam out but other bills came up so it will have to wait for awhile. Used the manual and http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/tensionerinstall.htm to walk me thru the steps.
The only step I didnt do was the heat/freeze to remove cams from plate. I just took the plate to the local HD shop and they pressed out the cams and replaced the bearing. Cost was $50. 1st time I walked out of there without spending over $100. Only because I brought in the cam chain tensioners with me.